Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk describes how, by leveraging the Internet, you can take your passion, make it a job, and monetize it.
- To build a thriving business you need to be passionate about it
- Be authentic: pick the best platform for you
- Hustle, work hard and long
Crush It Summary
Passion = Success
Gary says that if you don’t do something you’re passionate about, you’ll be just another nine to fiver. The secret to success is to do something that makes you excited of getting out of bed in the morning.
Internet is that revolution that allows anyone to make money by doing what they really love.
Authenticity and relatability are the keys to a solid personal brand, says Gary. A solid personal brand is what make people come back to you, even when you will change type of product.
These are Gary’s steps to build a personal brand:
- Find our your passion
- Put a name on it
- Get an associated domain
- Pick the platform most suited to you (writing, video, audio.. All?)
- Communicate your passion better than anyone else
- Put out lots of great content
- Use at least Twitter and Facebook for social
- Work on build a community, comment on other blogs, write on forums
- Link up with people talking your topic
- Join all relevant Facebook pages and groups
- Keep posting and building community over and over again
- When your community is well established start monetizing
- And enjoy the ride
Find The Right Medium
Gary says there’s no need to force yourself into something you’re not, says Gary. Actually, you should NOT do that or you’ll come across less authentic.
Find a media best suited to you instead. If you’re shy or introvert for example, you don’t need to change that: a blog could be your thing.
Great Content With Passion
Talk about you love and you’re passionate about, and do it well. Great content is the medicine against all evil. Worry not about the noise: the cream always rise to the top.
These should be the question you should answer with a resounding “yes”:
- Is X my greatest passion?
- Can I talk about it better than anyone else?
Three Ingredients to Success
Gary says there are three main ingredients to make it:
- Authenticity: all decisions and communication must be filtered through your and your business’ values
- Hustle: work longer and harder than all others and you’ll make it
- Patience: nothing happens instantaneously, stay at it and be gritty
Most of your effort will be around building a community of followers and like-minded people.
Gary says that a thriving and active community is more important than the total numbers. He advises the following to build a thriving community:
- Comment on similar blogs
- Reply to people who reply to you
- Link to your content any time it can add value
Very good on motivation and mindsets but doesn’t go much into the actual steps.
Lots of Autobiographical Info
If you’re into getting know how Gary got there and what he’s done, there much of that information. If not, you might have wished that space had gone to more concrete details.
Crush It Review
Gary writes with a lively and invigorating tone. Crush It reads quickly, touches on some key mindsets for success and has good content.