Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Greetings!

Hi everyone! My name is Manuel I am 27 years old, I am a medical student and I would like to specialize in psychiatry. Before I start, I wanted to clarify that English is not my mother language, but I am trying to improve it.

For a long time I have liked self-help and personal improvement, which is precisely why I want to opt for the specialty of psychiatry. The problem is that it is difficult for me to go from theory to action. I don't like the way I am right now and I know I can give much more and aspire to a better life. Where I accomplish what I propose, who don't be afraid to speak to others and defend my point of view. To be that Friend that you can count on and a man who can just go and talk to the girl he likes.

I think the first self-help book I read was about seduction hahaha. How to be an alpha Male in 2009 when I was just 15 years old. Since there I went through books that talked about how to be more sociable, how to be more assertive, how to be more motivated, until I star reading books that talks about mental health (anxiety, positive psichology, ACT) subjects mostly related to myself.

But most of the time I just accumulated knowledge without applying it in my life, which is something I would like to change. One good habit at a time. It was in this quest to improve myself that I found Lucio's page and I was delighted with his work, the way he combines scientific rigor with practice and what is applicable in real life.

I want to be a better person, improve my life in the aspects that I valueble the most and be proud of myself, and be able to help others to achieve this. I hope I can learn from Lucio and all of you, and I'd be glad to help in what I can.

Lucio Buffalmano, Kellvo and Matthew Whitewood have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoKellvoMatthew Whitewood

A pleasure to be with you on the forum!

I've also come across too many self-help books that are too generic.
I think that's the issue with most self-help books.
And Lucio has reviewed the best books on this website in this area.

I could learn much from your perspective as someone learning & practising psychiatry.

Manu and Kellvo have reacted to this post.
ManuKellvo

Hi, Matthew!

Thanks for your kind words. I want to tell you that I have been reading the forum for a while and I saw that you were always one of the most active members. In part it's thanks to you and others very collavoratives members that I see that all here are trying the best to help and become a better version of themselves.

I also wanted to thanks your suggestion of Lucio's reviews, they are great, thanks to them I got to know very good books. I especially liked the top of best psychology books and thanks to Lucio that I learned about positive psychology, which has been one of the concepts that has helped me the most on my pathway to self improvement.

I wanted to take the opportunity to recommend the great book "Self help that works" by John Norcross which is a compilation of the best books, films and materials on the web chosen by a group of mental health professionals (psychologists, psychiatrists) and covers a range of diverse subjects from self management, happiness, anxiety to male issues. He gives a short summary of what each book is about and classifies them from those that are essential to those that are best avoided. Unfortunately, it was already published in 2014, so it does not include the latest books and the most current theories, but it does mention many works that can be considere hidden gems, among other very good books already known up to that date.

Kellvo and Matthew Whitewood have reacted to this post.
KellvoMatthew Whitewood

Rock on bro! Good to meet you. I like hearing that you're so big on self-development too. You're in the right place, we're full of ambitious and driven people constantly striving to improve. Thank you for your recommendation btw, I'll check it out. As for your stated goals:

Quote from Manu on December 2, 2021, 6:45 am

I don't like the way I am right now and I know I can give much more and aspire to a better life. Where I accomplish what I propose, who don't be afraid to speak to others and defend my point of view. To be that Friend that you can count on and a man who can just go and talk to the girl he likes.

You're on the right track. Take it from someone who used to be super socially awkward and now can literally talk to anyone - simply making a habit of talking with people goes a long way. Finding and cultivating the value you can deliver, coming from the intention of bettering their lives and a healthy source of strength and power awareness goes a long way towards creating fulfilling approaches. Not just with women either (although that's awesome) - it makes it easier to build bonds with men too. Eventually, by repeated exposure, it'll not only stop being something you're afraid to do, but become a habit.

As for the first, that starts by successfully doing something small and then building momentum on it. It involves making good habits and sticking to them, as well as finding what you already want to do and removing distractions. The third comes from cultivating value, both in your personal life and interpersonal skills. By the fact that you are a medical student and dedicated to self-improvement, it's clear you're already well on the way here. Great job!

Lucio Buffalmano and Manu have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoManu

Great to see you here Manuel!

Manu has reacted to this post.
Manu
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...