Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New idea for responding to tasking

Greetings!

A new idea popped up following a certain request for tasking i received recently.

I would like to share it with you and possibly get some feedback.

Context: In a meeting at work i verbally mentioned a research i performed to evaluate the effort and any possible blocking factors for a pending project.

Tasking request from a coworker from other team:

Could you write down in a document the findings of your research?

It was difficult to reject this tasking since i was the only one who could perform this task due to the knowledge being available in my head. Any other coworker would have to re-perform the initial research and spend much more time.

On the spot i managed to respond by using the vision-frame technique against tasking:

It will bring us in sync. That would be good to be made.

Finally here is the idea for a different response that popped up later after some contemplation:

Yeah, having this info documented would save you much time. It would be no need from you to re-perform the research.

This seems to me like a variation of the vision-frame technique.

Instead of mentioning that it would be good for 'all' in the company, mention that it would be good especially for their team. As a way of getting some social credit for the task and putting them in some dept.

Would you also consider the second response higher in power?

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Good one XH.

It was a difficult situation.

His tasking diminishes your input as it gives you no credit -if it was a good input, quite nasty-.
And almost turns it into a lazy effort on your part because you didn't "properly present it".

I wouldn't necessarily say that your second answer is higher power, but just plain more effective -which, in a larger sense, it's also higher power, but not in the "strict" sense of "higher dominance"-.

Actually, that second one is really golden.

You turn the task into a favor you're doing to him.
So you could even add:

Him: Could you write down in a document the findings of your research?
You: Yeah, having this info documented would save you much time. It would be no need from you to re-perform the research and I found a lot of great stuff as I was saying, so happy to put it into a Word file (you change the wording to avoid following, small detail).
Another thing I found out is... 

So you turn his tasking into a favor, plus you self-task yourself so you cover your ass in case someone might come back again and say "put it into a document".

And then you also keep on going with what you've found interesting.
That way, you don't allow the tasking the curtail your shining moment but you keep on going to get your full credit.

What do you think?

XH has reacted to this post.
XH
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

His tasking was definitely way off. Without the word please or Him expanding on how it's helpful it comes off like a demand more than a request. It seems like he was trying to gain power consciously.

If such powermoves are a frequent occurrence then it's necessary you respond to him with high dominance and very low warmth (He did  bring it upon himself).

Coming to this situation one of the ways you could have responded is.

Him : Could you write down in a document the findings of your research?

You : listen, I was going to do it anyways but it's important as a team member you understand the importance of this activity before making such requests.

So how do you think this is helpful?

Him : (Proceeds to explain how this is helpful)

You : Glad you understand how helpful this is for the team and as a member of our team we all expect that you also work for it's progress. It would be really appreciated.

What are your thoughts?

Lucio Buffalmano and XH have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoXH

Thanks a lot Lucio & Growfast for the feedback & the new suggestions.

Lucio I really like the highlighting of the favor with self-tasking. It explicitly associates the favor with me and something i will do. Also the wording change to avoid following.

Growfast i like the 'it is already in my to-do list' part of your suggestion.

In this context i think that it would be better to set the favor frame by myself.

Outsourcing this to him could probably lead to more disempowerment by thread expanding on how my lack of documentation is not helpful for the team.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Quote from XH on January 15, 2022, 11:03 am

Thanks a lot Lucio & Growfast for the feedback & the new suggestions.

Lucio I really like the highlighting of the favor with self-tasking. It explicitly associates the favor with me and something i will do. Also the wording change to avoid following.

Cheers man, and exactly.

This was a good case study on tasking and a common one.
Might share or link in PU from the overview lesson as a real-life case study.

For thinking quickly on two feet you did well to somewhat defend yourself and maintain some power against the sneaky attack.
You spotted the risk and your mind was in the right place, well done!

XH has reacted to this post.
XH
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...