Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Upgrading to virtual server: staying with SiteGround

ThePowerMoves.com has overgrown the shared environment as offered by SiteGround -and as offered by most other providers-.

So I have now moved to a virtual server machine.
There has been some minor teething problem, including a whole post which I lost -and rewritten the best dark triad books on the fly- and a few forum entries lost (if your entry was lost: I'm sorry!).

But overall, I'm happy with SiteGround.
Uptime is great, service is great, price is good.
The speed is OK, but not excellent.

The time to first byte, particularly, is not the best.
And that's a pity, because it's mostly up to the server side and it seems to be one of the main indicators that Google uses (seems! Nobody knows for sure).

So I have been thinking whether or not to move to a different hosting provider.
I was considering Pressidium and WP Engine.

I didn't hear the best things from WP Engine and it seemed too sales-driven, and I never considered that a good sign.
Pressidium made an excellent impression on me, but it is substantially more expensive than SiteGround.

Considering that SiteGround hasn't given me any strong reason to switch, for the moment I am happy to remain with them.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I realised your above post is around a year ago, so things may have changed.
Just wanted to share what I have been exploring and potentially discuss if anyone is interested.

I am using Digital Ocean to host a Wordpress website.

There are 2 options:

• One-click solution to set up Wordpress
  • Set up your own server (Digital Ocean calls this a droplet)
    Install everything yourself on the backend to get Wordpress running

I haven't used SiteGround, Pressidium and WP Engine before.
I am considering switching to Amazon AWS because it offers the first year for free.
But it may be more challenging to navigate and use.

Looks good and built with virtual machines like many hosting providers seem to be doing these days.

If you're starting out and/or if your product/service is not web-based, then you're good with either virtual machines, or even with a basic shared server.

Planning for future growth, the option of upgrading to a dedicated server would be nice as well, albeit I haven't kept up to date, and maybe both for security and speed virtual machines are as good as dedicated these days.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Not an expert on Amazon AWS or cloud infrastructure.
Though I have explored a bit here & there.

Amazon AWS has features to help with managing variable user traffic such as

• auto-scaling - automatically spins up new virtual machines when higher traffic is detected to cope with increased demand
  • load-balancing - automatically redistributes traffic across your virtual machines (if you host your website across multiple virtual machines)

In this way, you don't have to waste paying for a dedicated server all the time.

AWS Auto Scaling monitors your applications and automatically adjusts capacity to maintain steady, predictable performance at the lowest possible cost. Using AWS Auto Scaling, it’s easy to setup application scaling for multiple resources across multiple services in minutes.

I would also use a dedicated server when it comes to any critical application.
I think it's worth the cost.

There is a solid 5.5-hour crash course on Amazon AWS.

I have watched 2 hours of the course.
Pretty informative to get a rough idea.

It walks you through exactly how to set up the auto-scaling and load-balancing features.

selffriend has reacted to this post.
selffriend