Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When does Leaving a Public Review Give the Biggest Impact?

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano  on December 3, 2020, 4:09 pm

Have you thought of leaving a public review for this?

Time is more than money, it's life, and since public reviews take time, I usually only leave reviews when:

1. The experience was really good / the people truly deserve it
  2. The experience was really bad / the people deserve a negative review
  3. Because a warning can significantly help others

This seems to be a case #3.
I think people thinking of visiting this clinic would gain a lot knowing this, and the clinic itself, maybe even that doctor individually could gain a lot from a negative review, which could ba a wake-up call to change approach.

On this other post Asking for Career Advice,
Lucio mentioned public reviews as a way to encourage pro-social behaviour.

These are the 3 points where leaving a good review can help people make good decisions and avoid bad decisions:

1. The experience was really good / the people truly deserve it
  2. The experience was really bad / the people deserve a negative review
  3. Because a warning can significantly help others

Unfortunately, I have forgotten about the name of the clinic after recovering from chicken pox.
This was about a year ago.
There are many clinics around that neighbourhood in that location.
I would prefer not to take the chance to leave the review on the wrong clinic.

There should be a pro-social mobile app or government intiative to encourage the leaving of reviews under these 3 conditions.

In the majority of cases, I would also not leave a review.
No point leaving a review like "I took the bus from point A to point B. It was an okay bus ride."
That does not help people make decisions, and you are wasting your time/life away.

Good idea on turning this into its own thread.

Yeah, leaving review is a good way to be prosocial, as well as empowering people have a say with either a compliment, or taking a stand against poor behavior.

Time is life though, so one must balance when to take the time for that review.
And those three you mentioned there as generally my rules of thumb.

AS you say, little point in leaving a review to say "all was OK", since "OK" is the general service you'd expect, not much to say.

Another occasion when I like leaving a review is when I feel something has a great potential but people aren't using that potential.

For example, imagine a restaurant has a great view, overlooking the whole city, the skyline, the ocean, or a beautiful lake in the middle of a picturesque park. They charge good money for the location, but then... But then they serve average food, with the most mediocre wines/cocktails.

It's not the fact they're "overcharging" which warrants a review in my system of values, it's that they had a true great opportunity to provide an amazing experience, and they fucking wasted it with mediocrity.

Wasting talent and opportunity is a form of "passive" form taking.
Not as bad as active taking, but deserves at least a mild kick on the ass, you never know it will remain people of how much more they can do :).

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?