Please or Register to create posts and topics.

WIIFT failure (advanced): criminal investigator talks to murderer as if she were an empath

Quick background story:

She's the prime suspect of organizing the murderer of her parents, and the investigator wants her to confess.

Investigator: Because at the end of the day, we have to stop this from happening to someone else

Is there a "what's in it for her" there to make her confess?

Maybe... If she cared about others.

But empaths rarely mastermind their own parents' murderer, and she's already shown plenty that she's not very concerned about "others".

The WIIFT must be tailored to the situation and to the individual.

The investigator -who's otherwise awesome- is using an obviously bad angle in trying to approach her with a "what's in it for you".
Because this type of individual, in this situation, is very unlikely to give a flying F about helping others.

Little later she even tells him:

Her: What happens to me?

She's basically telling him: I only care about me.

Indirectly, she's saying: "if you want to make me talk, give me something that will make me better off".

But little later, the investigator makes the same mistake:

Investigator: Because the most important thing is, we need to do this for your mom. Right?

And he keeps going on and on about "doing it for her mother".
That's obviously a poor "what's in it for her" for the person who only wanted her mother to die.

Of course, the detective cannot legally promise to "go easy on her", or anything that would suggest leniency -the real "what's in it for her"-.

But insisting on obviously poor "what's in it for you" isn't gonna help either.

BETTER APPROACHES...

I haven't thought this through, but some other options:

1. Show the world you can own up to your mistakes
  2. Juries always appreciate people who tell the truth
  3. Take this huge load off your chest: just admi it

Just a few ideas.
They might have all failed, but for sure they were better than trying to elicit a confession from the murderer via a "do it for the person you had killed".

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...
Scroll to Top