This highly sensitive person test is based on the pioneering work of researcher Elaine Aron, author of The Highly Sensitive Person.
It’s an updated and expanded version of her own test, and I find it highly predictive of HSP.
Answer “true” if they are somewhat true and “false” if it’s not very true or not true at all.
- I am more aware than most to the subtleties in my environment
- I am easily influence by other people’s mood
- I am very sensitive to pain (more than most)
- During busy days I feel the need to get some privacy and relief. Possibly to withdraw into a dark room or into bed
- Caffeine has a strong effect on me
- I am very sensitive to bright lights, loud noises, coarse fabrics and strong smells
- I have a rich, complex inner life
- Loud noises make me uncomfortable
- Arts and music move me deeply
- I am conscientious
- I get easily startled
- I get rattled when I have a little time and much to do
- I am good at fixing the environment when people are uncomfortable (ie.: change seating, closing a window, changing the lighting.. )
- I am annoyed when people shove too many things at once on my plate
- I try hard to avoid mistakes
- I avoid violent movies
- I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is happening around me
- Hunger disrupts my concentration or mood
- Changes in my life shake me up
- I enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art
- I take care of arranging my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations
- Competitions unnerve me and I tend to perform poorly
- Being observed performing makes me nervous and I do much worse
- My parents or teachers saw me as sensitive or shy
- Loud clubs or bars overwhelm me and I prefer to avoid them
If you answer yes to more than 13 question, chances are you are a highly sensitive person.
Sensitivity is a spectrum, which means people can be mildly sensitive or extremely sensitive. That means that the more yeses you answer, the more sensitive you likely are.
If you answer less than 13 but above 5-6, chances are that you are mildly sensitive.