The Magic of Thinking Big is one of the biggest sellers in the self help literature. It’s aged a little bit, but it’s a classic.
- Bullet Summary
- Full Summary
- Real Life Applications
- First step towards success is thinking big
- Whether you believe you can or you can’t you’re right: believe you can
- Drop all excuses and start
Believe in Success and You Will Succeed
- Believe you will succeed
- Dream big
Schwartz says that to succeed you must believe you will succeed. Start by changing all your fearful and doubts thoughts into positive ones. And think big: the size of your success is in direct proportion to the size of your beliefs.
Drop All Excuses
Schwartz dedicates a chapter to the excuses people come up with to avoid going for lofty goals. But to be successful stopping the excuse mill is mission critical step 1.
The author invites the readers to not underestimate your own intelligence as much as you don’t want to overestimate other people’s intelligence.
The author also says that attitude is more important than IQ (read Emotional Intelligence) and, I would add, your intelligence is not cast in stone.
You can change your brain and grow you skills brother, please read how to develop a growth mindset.
Build Confidence and Destroy Fear
I really liked two guidelines by the author:
- Take actions – it’s loitering inaction that feed fear
- Only do what you believe is right to do
Also read: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.
Think & Dream Creatively
- Believe you can do it and your mind will find ways to do it it
- Don’t let past traditions get in the way: experiment, go for new approaches, think different
- Demand yourself how you can do better and magical answers will show you the way
- Scramble therapy: meet and talk to new and different people, get new inputs in your mind. Ideas in = ideas out
You Are Who You Think You Are
Change how you think about yourself and you will change your life.
- Carry yourself as if you were important. Because, you are
- Think of your work as important. Because, it is
- Ask yourself how the ideal and important you would act. Then act that way
Go First Class
Get the best people you can around you, pick the best advisors and only listen to successful people. Always go for the best in class. You can’t afford anything else.
Think Right Towards People
The Magic of Thinking Big also deals with social skills. Schwartz encourages the readers to introduce themselves and being proactive in making new friendships.
Similar to How to Win Friends he recommends you take care of remembering people’s names. And a very good suggestion is to accept people as they are and focus on the positives.
Think Like a Leader
To get people to follow you, start by putting yourself in their shoes and look at things from their perspective. Treat people fairly and lead by example.
Also read The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and for more on social skills read my Social Mastery Guide.
Get In The Habit of Action
Start things, don’t wait for conditions to be perfect because they never are. That’s often only an excuse you’re making. You will meet obstacles anyway, start and solve them as you go: the obstacle is the way.
Turning Defeat Into Victory
Schwartz says that you must study your faults and mistake in order to avoid repeating them in the future. Don’t let the pain overwhelm you, as Tony Robbins says there’s some good in every situation, you only need to find.
And if you can’t find any, here’s what Ray Dalio says: pain + failure provide your biggest drivers for growth.
Get clear on where you want to and write it down: your life is too important to leave it to chance. Then let your goals drive you and motivate you along the way.
The Magic of Thinking BIG
The author finally ties down the power of thinking big in driving you forward. Even in the toughest situations:
- When haters hate: think BIG, it’s proof you’re growing
- When you get scared: think BIG, focus on your strengths, look important, remember nobody’s any bigger than you
- When you’re getting angry: think BIG, a quarrel is not probably worth your time
- When your romantic life is in trouble: think BIG. Rebuild romance, don’t get ven
Real Life Applications
Don’t Overestimate People’s Intelligence
That is so true. As Steve Jobs said “when you realize it’s people no smarter than you are that run this world, things change”. It took me a long time to realize that… And I’m still in that process.
Put Positive Memories in Your Brain
I really loved the idea of putting positives thoughts and memories in your mind. Especially when you wake up and before going to bed. Try it out, it’s a game changer.
It’s aged a bit
If you’ve been around the self help literature for a while most of the information in here won’t be new to you. But that’s not to say the book isn’t valid: quite the opposite, it’s this book that propagated many of those ideas.
The concept of The Magic of Thinking Big reminded me a bit of the concepts of moonshots in Bold. It’s overall a good book.