Word of Mouth Marketing explains what Word of Mouth Marketing marketing is and how you can leverage it to help grow your business.
- Happy customers are your best marketing and advertising tool
- Be remarkable to get people talking
- People spreading your brand are normal, everyday people. But also try to target influencers in your niche
About The Author: Andy Sernovitz is a marketing expert, founder of GasPedal, which helps companies develop peer-to-peer communities .
The Two Rules of WoM
The two rules of word of mouth marketing are:
- Give people a reason to talk about your stuff
- Make it easier for that conversation to take place
In even simpler terms, WoM marketing is: everything you can do to get people talking.
Andy Sernovitz says that WoM marketing as an acronym to go together with B2B and B2C is B2C2C.
The business originates the ideas. And then it lets the people do the propagation.
Word of Mouth Marketing Manifesto
- Make people happy
- Be interesting or invisible
- Great service starts great conversations
- Marketing is what you do, not what you say
- People are already talking, you must join the conversation.
- Be original: not worth talking about equals not worth doing
- Negative WoM is an opportunity to learn
The very first best advertising tool are your customers.
Make people happy and you get free, high quality advertising.
Who Are WoM People?
There is a popular idea originating from pop-psychologist Malcom Gladwell”, who wrote about in the The Tipping Point.
Gladwell’s concept is that of a a few “super-infectors” who drive most of the spread of a virus.
Some people apply the same concept to WoM marketing, saying there are a few of ultra-hip and ultra-connected talkers.
However, the author says that’s not true.
It’s ordinary people who fuel the real word of mouth marketing.
My Note: The Two-Step Flow of Communication
That’s actually an old theory in communication called “Two-Step Flow of communication“. It’s based on the idea of a smaller number of “thought leaders” who drive most people’s opinions.
The Types of WoM Talkers
There are a few different types of people who will do word of mouth marketing for you:
- Happy customers
- Online talkers (leave a review or a comment online)
- Logo lovers (people wearing your logo)
- Eager employees
- Listeners (people eager to hear from you)
- Fans and hobbyists (the most die hard talkers)
- Professionals (reporters)
Why People Talk About You
People will fundamentally talk about your and/or your product for three reasons:
- They like you
- You make them look smart with your product
- They want to belong to a group
Real Life Applications
People don’t talk about ordinary stuff. They talk about their first times. And what was remarkable.
Bit Common Sense
The information in the book is well structured but a bit common sense. There are quite a few good nuggets and it can still be a great reminder anyway.
Highly Relevant to Today’s World
Today getting reviews and opinions from word of mouth (or bytes) is probably more popular and common place than it’s ever been.
In my opinion this is good information and theoretical knowledge to have.
But putting it to actual use is a completely different thing.
But I have never heard anyone who said “I tipped the point / I went viral / I achieved mass market penetration” thanks to the theoretical knowledge I acquired with that book.
Basically: good theory, but the chances it will allow you to go viral are not that high.
Overall: a good book and easy to read.