Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Book recommendations : Public speaking

I have started this thread for discussion on the books/videos/Audio files, etc that give valuable insight and help in improving public speaking skills.

Public speaking is a very valuable skill and I believe elements of it can overlap into group conversations.

Feel free to share your suggestions and thoughts.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood

These are my suggestions (Now I haven't read these books yet However I have heard from people that these are good)

1) The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs: How to Be Insanely Great in Front of Any Audience by Carmine Gallo
2) Talk Like TED by Carmine Gallo
Matthew Whitewood

The first one about Steve Jobs is good! Not sure about the second one.

There's Speak like a CEO too.

Check out Speaking Pro by Roger Love on this website. Lucio also covered quite a few other topics on voice on this website.

I am working on pronunciation myself with ETJ English.

I haven't read much on public speaking.

I think this is a case where video products can work better than books.
And learning it by doing, with a mentor giving feedback and you watching your own videos, might be best of all.

Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I am on the same page as Lucio.
A mentor giving feedback has been one of the most valuable sources for improvement.

My main mistake in getting better at public speaking has been asking random people for feedback.
I get confused by the feedback and end up practising different components every week.
Then I never got really better at anything.
I was a blind man walking the streets asking everyone for directions.

My opinion is to not be afraid of practising the smallest aspects of voice, gestures, structuring your speech, etc.
My current mentor encourages that.

Some previous vocal coaches were less organised and threw everything at me at once.
It made me very confused.
I would recommend looking out for coaches who really know how to break things down and teach patiently.
Vocal coaches with courses are usually better at teaching than those without because they are good at structuring the learning process.

For example, I am practising the schwa sound ə now.
The feedback is that I overstress the schwa sound in comparison to other sounds too much.

Although I've been practising only voice, and it's only 1 component of public speaking.

Processing...