Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Communication Styles

People do seem to have different communication styles.  I've found a couple of webpages with tactical suggestions:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90296536/these-are-4-styles-of-communication-that-you-need-to-know

http://www.emailpower.com/article_communication_style/

However a lot of this seems to be based on NLP and personality assessments (e.g. DISC or Meyers Briggs)  And both of those areas of psychology have been discredited

So does anyone know if there's any proof for these tactics?  Or am I pursuing 'law of attraction' type bro science.

selffriend has reacted to this post.
selffriend

Ehehe good one, I wouldn't say we're at the level of the law of attraction :).

I'm pretty sure some people are more analytical, intuitive, or personal than others.

But as a whole, I've personally never found these 4 categories to be the most useful distinctions to understand people.
And if you stop at that, you're certainly going to miss out on both the bigger picture, and more useful categories / traits.

Just as an example, just these categories tell you more about people:

• Manipulative / straightforward
  • Hungry for more / happy with whatever he's got
  • Generally sad or pessimistic / generally happy or optimistic
selffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on March 31, 2021, 4:05 pm

Ehehe good one, I wouldn't say we're at the level of the law of attraction :).

I'm pretty sure some people are more analytical, intuitive, or personal than others.

But as a whole, I've personally never found these 4 categories to be the most useful distinctions to understand people.
And if you stop at that, you're certainly going to miss out on both the bigger picture, and more useful categories / traits.

Just as an example, just these categories tell you more about people:

• Manipulative / straightforward
  • Hungry for more / happy with whatever he's got
  • Generally sad or pessimistic / generally happy or optimistic

Hi Lucio, I find this list very helpful. Would you mind keep going?

Well, to prove that I am not a value-taker here, I'll also list my premature thoughts:

1. Short-term pleasure / long-term utility
  2. Doesn't act immediately / always act immediately
  3. Passive / Aggressive / Assertive (might be already included in the manipulative / straightforward one)
  4. etc...
Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Hey selffriend,

That is actually a very good question.

And it's a very deep topic to properly discuss as an off-topic shoot, it deserves more.
The main question would be:

• Along which traits do you properly assess people?

Of course it also depends on what you want to with them: for sex, dating, long term partners, friends, business partners... ? But some traits are common to all of them.

It deserves its own article, me thinks, and maybe even its own Power University lesson.

selffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...