Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Controlling/Harassing/Nitpicking supervisor

Hello guys,

Context: in my profession, we need to write discharge letters when a patient leaves the hospital. These are technical documents which require quite a lot of effort and time to produce. Bascially, we (residents) write this document and send it to our supervisor (attending) for correction.

Situation: I sent a few letters to my supervisor. Of course there were mistakes that she had to correct. She used the same manipulative technique as other females colleagues did in the past: she made it look as these mistakes are serious mistakes (shaming attack). I made the mistake to tell her about my previous education before medicine. That was a mistake as it fueled more covert aggression from her.

How do I defend?

1. I don't submit: That means I don't say as I used to say: "I won't make this mistake again".
  2. I acknowledge the mistake
  3. I thank her for the feed-back
  4. I refuse to let her make me feel bad (shame): as I said in a previous thread, I choose not to give her the power to affect my mood, self-esteem or self-confidence. Now I met enough people like her to recognize the pattern and reject it.

So basically, she kind of harasses me through email with undertone of threats: "Time is passing by. You made these mistakes...." She implies that I'm not improving fast enough. But now I know these people, so I'm not impressed and not affected.

I'm sharing this with you, maybe it's helpful for somebody else.

Cheers!

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Processing...