Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Power move: "saving you" - Valuetainment

Quote from Ali Scarlett on April 6, 2022, 3:36 pm

I think that saying one "saved you" or is "going to save you" is also a (maybe not so covert) power move as well.

A title used to get views, sure, but it also seems to be a power move because:

1. Twitter is not dying
  2. Twitter never asked for help/saving
  3. It was said publicly, and not to the recipient of the one(s) being saved (over at Twitter)

And, similar to what Lucio said above, the frame is then full of "poor them, they need help, they need our saving (and we're kind to help them)".

Or, more specifically to this case, "poor them, they need help, they need Elon's saving (and he's kind to help them)".

If you have any thoughts on this, feel free to share below.

I agree Ali: to me it is a power move, aking to the "praying for you" move.

As you say, it frames one party as a victim and the other as a rescuer. Disempowering for both sides. It also implies the "rescuer" has a "duty to save" and "behave selflessly", and before that a duty to "do something".

An example that comes to my mind: a lawyer is asked by someone to do some legal work, and a third party walks by and says, in front of both:

A**hole: So lawyer, how are you going to save him?

Very very nasty: it paints the lawyer as being selfish because he is doing paid work, and as possibly not doing enough. It also paints the client as a helpless victim. Possible reply:

Lawyer: I'll leave your "saving the day" fairytales to you, we are doing work here. Now if you'll excuse us.

leaderoffun has reacted to this post.
leaderoffun

That's a good example, Bel.

Though I think that power move actually makes the lawyer look "good" at the expense of the "victim in need of saving". (In that example, it looks like the client is a social peg that's being used to help the lawyer social climb over him since the lawyer is now framed as the "kind savior".)

Another example: say you got into some hot water with cancel culture and your PR manager was able to help pull you out of it.

Then, in a group setting, that PR manager says:

PR Manager: "Yeah, good thing we got to it before it got any worse. One of the trickiest situations I've had to navigate in a while but, in the end, thankfully, I managed to save him (smiles)."

Not a very funny "joke" if it was one.

Pretty much any case where one could credit-inflate their help as "saving" is a case where that power move becomes magnified into a game that's far more damaging for the receiver/one being saved.

Bel has reacted to this post.
Bel
Processing...