Please or Register to create posts and topics.

COVID-19 vaccination ‘wildly uneven and unfair’ (says clueless, virtue-signaling UN Secretary-General)

This is the tweet:

If there is anything "unfair" is that Guteresses here has an audience.

Let's analyze his nonsense with some critical thinking.

The vaccination follows exactly what you'd expect from power dynamics and human nature.

It's certainly uneven, but it's only unfair as long as you think that it's unfair for countries who have given more (money / research / tech), to take less back (vaccine).

It's also nonsense from a medical perspective, since if the world as a whole moves quicker with the vaccine, the virus has less time to mutate, which is good for everyone.
And if richer countries can re-open quicker than poorer ones, that's also better for everyone because richer countries have more "pull-up" effects on the whole global economy.
So it's not a case of win-lose but, in spite of different speeds of vaccinations, everyone gains if we go quicker -even if at different speeds-.

And following market rules (almost) always allows going quicker compared to communist and centrally-planned approaches (what UN Secretary-General indirectly suggests).

Of course, that type of analysis would prevent Guteress from his virtue-signaling grandstanding.

HARMFUL, MEAN IGNORANCE

These types of superficial comments actually make me angry.

They seem kind and supportive, but like much virtue-signaling, they're actually mean, divisive, and harmful.

We don't win this battle with stupid territorial infighting (unfair rich VS poor) and denying human nature (of course those who did the vaccine will get it first, and it's still a win for humanity as a whole).

We win it by respecting and applauding human ingenuity, and the unprecedented feat of coming up with a vaccine so quickly.

If any country is going quicker with its vaccination program than the country I'm in, I applaud them, I'm glad for them, and I hope they can go even quicker.
That's a better attitude.

THE REST OF NONSENSE

Next in the tweet, we have an empty exhortation, "the world needs", followed by an amusing self-serving power move:

I am ready to mobilize the full @UN System in support of this effort.

Luckily the world doesn't depend on the UN for actually doing things -like researching, producing and distributing vaccines-.

You only need to look at this guy's tweets, and they advertise loud and clear how powerless -and clueless- the UN actually is.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

It's certainly uneven, but it's only unfair as long as you think that it's unfair for countries who have given more (money / research / tech), to take less back (vaccine).

I think this is a hard truth of the world.
Some people cannot swallow being born in a less fortunate country.
It's possible to move towards more empowering mindsets like how to make the best use of a situation.
Rather than to get jealous of people in better countries.

All that being said, I don't think that's the case for Antonio Guterres.
He is virtue-signalling and grandstanding.

These types of superficial comments actually make me angry.

I think Twitter should ban politicians from tweeting.
It is far too dangerous to let people tweet superficial comments that could sway the masses.
Though I don't think they will because influencers are the cornerstones in social media.

And if richer countries can re-open quicker than poorer ones, that's also better for everyone because richer countries have more "pull-up" effects on the whole global economy.

Fully on the same page.
Having places like New Zealand, Taiwan with few cases are great for letting the economy recover.
It is the economic equivalent of the Maslow hierarchy of needs.
You cannot work on other higher needs if you are busy fighting a pandemic.

If everyone is busy fighting the pandemic, who will set time aside for fighting malaria and a host of other important activities to develop the human race.

Lucio Buffalmano and Stef have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoStef

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_syphilis_experiments#:~:text=The%20syphilis%20experiments%20in%20Guatemala,of%20the%20Tuskegee%20syphilis%20experiment.

This was more unfair in my mind, i am not in a hurry to let no one "vaccinate" me, let me be conspiranoic

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yeah, that's a different level -crime against humanity, as the article suggests, is appropriate-.

Guterres was just talking stupid. But that's no reason to let it off the hook. If that type of fake "communist / humanitarianism" thinking takes hold, humanity as a whole also pays a price.

I'm not an expert in vaccines, but from my non-expert point of view, I'm glad more and more people are getting vaccinated.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?