Please or Register to create posts and topics.

COVID & Mandatory Mask Wearing

From Power dynamics of mask-wearing

Lucio: Thanks for the indirect heads up.
I've taken Covid seriously this whole time will keep doing so until I think it makes sense.
But mandatory masks outside is an overkill in my opinion.

I think this is under lifestyle so I posted it here.

Lucio, I am not sure what you mean by the indirect heads up.

Singapore is really going overkill in my opinion.
Mandatory mask-wearing once you step out of the door even when you are vaccinated.

I think the Singapore government focuses a lot on the country's image on the global stage.
In this case, the Singapore government wants to show how well they deal with the COVID situation.
Medical tourism is quite big here.
A few wealthy families have come here as a result of COVID.

In other words, don't come to Singapore if you don't like to wear masks :).
I am even thinking of going somewhere for a break to enjoy not wearing masks since I am vaccinated.

Though I am aware that there is a new mutant strain that may render the vaccine ineffective.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yeah, I think you got it.

By "indirect heads-up" I mean that even though it wasn't the main aim of the previous thread, it still provided information on "places are not the best places to be in right now" :).

I'm not sure about the government incentives to crack down so hard.
The one you propose sounds possible, although I'd wonder if that makes economic sense, at least from a rational point of view. As a highly advanced economy, there are many sectors in Singapore that bring in revenue, so I'd wonder if (potentially) promoting just one at the (real) detriment of many others -tourism, bars, restaurants, etc.- isn't going to harm more than help.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Interesting anyway to see how different governments approach things and how different places/people react.

Here in Kyrgistan the virus is spreading at its fastest pace.
But the people who are supposed to only allow people with a mask at the entrance of various malls and shopping places are often wearing the mask below their nose. Sometimes fully pulled down to their chin.
And they often don't even check or stop people -most of whom of course remove their mask as soon as they're inside-.

The country as a whole doesn't seem to prioritize safety very much.

95 of the taxi drivers weren't wearing a seatbelt.
Even as a passenger in the back, I rarely manage to buckle up, either because the seatbelt had been tucked behind the seat, because they put cover that also covers the buckle compartment, or because the buckle was entirely removed (!).
Hatred against seatbelts never ran higher :).

A girl I saw a couple of times used to drive without a driving license saying it was "normal".
And when she crashed her car and the police showed up at her place, there were no real consequences because "it's normal here".

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Singapore could be transitioning out of the more authoritarian culture needed in the early days.
But, at this point, I will be making wild guesses as to exactly why the COVID measures are so strict.

Kyrgyzstan will be an interesting place to visit for me.
I have not been to that region of the world.

Masks are uncomfortable.
Now I'm starting to think if there's an alternative to masks.
I read that the main discomfort stems from a slight build-up of carbon dioxide.
And the body is sensitive to any slight changes in carbon dioxide percentages in inhaled air.

A girl I saw a couple of times used to drive without a driving license saying it was "normal".
And when she crashed her car and the police showed up at her place, there were no real consequences because "it's normal here".

In my head, I was imagining a "fast and furious" adventure that you had with this girl on the road.
Though, in reality, I realised that crashing a car is not fun outside of bumper cars.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Processing...