Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Do awkward people who got good (learners) make for better teachers?

I'm thinking of social and social-related skills here.

In general, one could ask is it "naturals" or "learners" who make for better teachers?

In the past I used to think that those who started out poor and learned made for better teachers because they had to study and analyze a discipline. That analysis eventually provides them with better insights and a better system to teach it.
Plus, they've already taken the path, and might be more aware of the common pitfalls / fears / lacks.

However, I'm not so convinced anymore today.

As the forum readers might know, I was watching Charisma on Command podcast, and posted several examples of Charlie and Ben.
Charlie is great, and yet I was surprised that in spite Charlie is the face of the business, very often it was Ben who seemed more advanced and more rounded.
Ben was not just higher power, but also more strategically effective in negotiations and business dealings.

Then today Charlie said how tough it was for him to learn charisma.

And that had me thinking: could it be that Ben was just naturally more rounded, with a natural stronger foundation, and Charlie hasn't (yet) filled all his gaps?

Today I'm not so sure anymore that learners make for better teachers than naturals.

I think it depends.

It depends on several factors.

One of the most important is if the person who started out "poor" has any major issue that prevents him from developing a good general understanding of a discipline.
For example, for social skills, aspergers can get a lot better at social skills. But I doubt they can make for the best teachers because Asperger directly impacts people's emotional intelligence which, in turn, is one of the core cognitive abilities to understand the basic levers of human psychology and social and power dynamics.

Growfast has reacted to this post.
Growfast
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I feel that Charlie is holding back on his arsenal of social tactics.

Sometimes he says

I cannot imagine myself saying that.

I get the feeling that

• He actually is able to say that but somehow needs to avoid saying that because of his own sense of self
  • He is not very open-minded and didn't pick up some of these tactics

Charlie really laughs at weird times.

Also, I should think about my own developments.

Processing...