Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Employee vs entrepreneur mindset and power moves

I see a big difference between Employee vs entrepreneur mindsets. It's a bit of a struggle for me to draw a line on the sand like this (perhaps another conversation).

I have to teach people who don't align with my entrepreneur worldview (ie they want to be employees). So I've tried to teach them to think in terms of value (business value) and they resent it. They don't want to be in business. They don't want to have to think about value. They feel judged because what they do day to day is not related in a meaningful way to business value (in their minds! It totally is!).

I wonder if what's here in  thepowermoves university would be a better topic for me to teach. Not that I've mastered this (of course) but that'd be an incentive for me to prepare and think about how to teach it.

My question is: do 'normal' people ( care about power more than they care about business value)?

I know this post is full of generalizations, and I'm too close emotionally to make good judgments (I identify strongly as Entrepreneur). This is why I'm asking here 🙂

This is a big question in my opinion.
If your question is how to lead employees in your business, the business and leadership section of Power University sounds excellent.

I think it's sometimes beneficial to think like an employee.
When you don't want to be the leader or take the initiative because it's a lot of work.
Or when you want to learn something from scratch.

They feel judged because what they do day to day is not related in a meaningful way to business value (in their minds! It totally is!).

In my opinion, it's the job of the entrepreneur to make his employees feel like they matter.

And you have to find the people who believe in your business or mission.
If not, you are doing a bad job surrounding yourself with the wrong people.

Some ways

• Communicate your big vision
  • How it benefits your employees
  • The opportunity for employees to have the autonomy to contribute to the vision
ZenDancer has reacted to this post.
ZenDancer
Quote from Matthew Whitewood on January 10, 2022, 11:46 am

This is a big question in my opinion.
If your question is how to lead employees in your business, the business and leadership section of Power University sounds excellent.

I think it's sometimes beneficial to think like an employee.
When you don't want to be the leader or take the initiative because it's a lot of work.
Or when you want to learn something from scratch.

They feel judged because what they do day to day is not related in a meaningful way to business value (in their minds! It totally is!).

In my opinion, it's the job of the entrepreneur to make his employees feel like they matter.

And you have to find the people who believe in your business or mission.
If not, you are doing a bad job surrounding yourself with the wrong people.

Some ways

• Communicate your big vision
  • How it benefits your employees
  • The opportunity for employees to have the autonomy to contribute to the vision

I totally agree with the ethos of trying to combine and balance both 'employee mindset' and 'entrepreneur mindset'... I'm actually both - I have a staff job but also run a small company of my own... for me it's fundamental to be able to stay focused on my 'vision', but being able to get into employee mindset is important too, especially when I need to plough through a high volume of work... vision without action is delusion...

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Processing...