Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Is talent wasted in low-impact businesses?

I saw a post of a former connection talking about the intricacies of mobile advertising.

I've always admired that guy: he is both entrepreneurial and analytical, minded, logical, and gets things done.
Obviously, he's very successful.

And he... He stays in mobile advertising.

I pondered for a while whether me commenting that "I hoped he moved to something like health-tech one day, because he could have a larger social impact there".

I gotta wonder: is entrepreneurial talent wasted when working on companies that add little value?

A question like that would imply that some businesses add more value to the collective (or the the individual), and some others less so.

Mobile advertising, for example, is perceived as bothering people, rather than helping.
Yet, one could always make the argument that targeted ads might add some value.
I do remain skeptical though: I can't remember a single time I've ever bought anything from an ad. And 99% of my clicks were accidental, rather than premeditated.

Matthew Whitewood and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewoodselffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I have quite a lot of friends who went into quantitative trading because of the money. It is arguably lucrative because of the nature of the industry.

I also considered going into this field. High salaries can be very enticing.

I was reading about two founders going into health-tech. They failed because they didn't understand how things work in the healthcare sector. Even with their endless nights. One building the product. The other selling.

On the other hand, mobile advertising is a safe route with quite a bit of cash. I would feel apprenhensive giving that up and jumping into another area that I may fail and lose a lot of time & money.

I care about the feeling of financial freedom. Like walking into a cafe and buying a coffee without thinking about the price too much.

Then again, if I think about my death, I become more keen on taking risks. For me, I get motivated by social impact from my dark desire for immortality.

It's also quite fun. The exploration and experimentative processs.

Now I feel comfortable starting from scratch which is arguably another source of emotional freedom.

Is Entrepreneurial Talent Wasted In Companies that Add Little Value?

In my personal opinion, I think yes because of corporate manipulation. The image of high salaries, prestige, corner offices with arguably not much risk compared to starting a risky startup like in healthtech.

These companies have infiltrated top universities to hire talent. It used to be investment banking, management consultancy, trading. Now it's "tech companies" including these AdTech companies.

I think we should encourage young individuals to explore and experiment with mini-ventures and sell simple services & products. This will boost people's confidence to take failure, start from scratch and most of all strike out on their own when they encounter a problem they resonate with.

Lucio Buffalmano and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmanoselffriend

Short comment: I guess the perception of impact and value is highly subjective.

I apologize if anyone find the following example inappropriate.

For example, perhaps some random guy will think that TPM has low impact for now because the traffic is not stellar for now. Indeed, TPM is focusing on product rather than marketing.

However, in my opinion, TPM creates indestructible knowledge, which will have a growing and long-term impact. Moreover, virtually everyone could benefit from TPM, so the market potential is infinite. So TPM has a high overall long-term impact rather than low impact.

The mobile advertising friend probably has the similar beliefs on his field.

Quote from Matthew Whitewood on May 2, 2021, 9:16 am

In my personal opinion, I think yes because of corporate manipulation. The image of high salaries, prestige, corner offices with arguably not much risk compared to starting a risky startup like in healthtech.

These companies have infiltrated top universities to hire talent. It used to be investment banking, management consultancy, trading. Now it's "tech companies" including these AdTech companies.

I think we should encourage young individuals to explore and experiment with mini-ventures and sell simple services & products. This will boost people's confidence to take failure, start from scratch and most of all strike out on their own when they encounter a problem they resonate with.

Yeah, the "start earning big salaries right away" can be an alluring path for many, compared to the uncertainty.

That particular guy is actually an entrepreneur.

But he started out in that industry, and I guess some people are wary of switching after they've gained all their expertise in one field.
Which, in some ways, makes sense.

And yes, financial freedom is definitely nice :).

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...
Scroll to Top