Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Jordan Peterson is a naive collaborator

Hello guys,

Here is an interview of Jordan Peterson. He has the smart person cure: he does not understand why people don't see that he's benevolent. Well, newsflash: most people on this planet are dumber than you. A bunch of dumb motherf###ers don't even understand Science so tough luck.

I think this is an interesting case of somebody being quite neurotic (Character disturbance) with good intentions not seeing that some people just want to protect their ego and be right. All this so they can feel superior: this goes back to the lobster and the serotonin. End loop.

This is very interesting at 1:39:18, the interesting part ends at 1:45:00

Cheers!

Oh man, that was tough to hear.

Yeah, Jordan Peterson stirs a lot of anger in some people.

I guess part of the reason is also cultural: what he says goes against the current (publicly professed) culture.

And it's definitely about power dynamics.

To maintain power and status the people who acquired power by propping up and becoming champions of the current cultural dogmas need that culture to stay alive so that they can keep on playing their roles in it -whether or not what they stand for is true or disempowering, it doesn't matter, what matters is that they maintain their place and status-.

That's why lots of people who debate him are not willing to actually talk to him.
They need to frame him as an extremist.

I was very glad he was back and out of the hospital, and I hope he keeps on getting better.

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

My personal opinion.

He understands but does not accept emotionally the reality of how people respond to his life work.
It can be deeply painful to have good intentions of contributing to the world at scale and encounter an adverse reaction to your expectations at scale.
Maybe it doesn't even have to be at scale.
In the context of one-to-one interaction, it can be pretty painful as well.

When he talks about Hitler having so many cheerleaders and how can it be possible that Hitler would not think he is doing the right thing, it suggests that he looks for quite a bit of validation externally on a personal level. I think that it is a very good idea to take into account external validation about whether something you put out is valuable. Because after all, if you are putting out something that others don't find valuable, is that valuable? Maybe we can say only on a personal level.

I notice this in myself.
When I put out something because I want some form of recognition, validation or reward, there's bound to be some form of disappointment as not everyone will respond in the way you expect.
And it's even worse when I have some form of expectation at scale.

Recognition, validation and reward are actually important on whether you are on the right path in terms of giving value.
So I tweaked my mindset and what I build my self-esteem upon to be on how effectively I respond to these external metrics.
For example, I regard responding effectively to a failed product launch to be a success even if that means shutting it down.
As you can see, I am a product management and lean methodology fanatic.

On a more personal level, if I am not the right person to provide value in a certain context, I would take pride in how I do my best to adapt fast to the situation or get another person to take my place. And if all fails, I have done my best. We all slip up. We take a chance to put out our beliefs into the world without knowing how people would respond.

If I put out a message that many people don't respond favourably to but it's very true and based on reality, maybe that's the price to pay while providing value to the group of people who do get value out of it. Or maybe there's an incremental way of persuading the larger majority. Maybe you haven't crossed the chasm from early adopters to the early majority. Maybe for Jordan Peterson, it's from early majority to late majority.

On another note, detaching business & personal could easier.
In business, it's easy to measure how well you are doing.
If 1 billion people don't buy your product but 10 million do, that could already be quite successful.
On a personal level, if 1 billion people don't like you but 10 million do, that could be confusing to your self-esteem.
I think yes, it's a success, especially if you don't take any value from the 1 billion people but provide value to the 10 million.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Processing...