Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Last evaluation: what strategy?

Hello,

I am spending 6 months at this current hospital and will move to a new one in 6 months as it is part of my training to do 6 months in each hospital for 2 years.

At the end of the 6 months, I will be able to talk with the higher-ups of the hospital. They will give me a feed-back on my work and I will be able to give them a feed-back on the hospital.

As you know I had trouble and still have trouble with nurses. Mostly, because they push their work on us as they are over-staffed and got used to not doing much work. Being the permanent personnel of the hospital, some of them got to a point of unhealthy entitlement.

So my plan is to hit them, hard. The reason is that it's not about me, it's not revenge. It's justice. It's to prevent further harm in the future to other residents like me and indirectly to patients in the worst cases.

My strategy is the following:

• I'm currently documenting every abuse I'm encountering, from everyone. I'm also documenting any slight unprofessional conduct (like challenging me repeatedly because I asked them to take vital signs to a patient, basically asking them to do their job).
  • During the evaluation, I will say the truth: that it was great to work with the medical staff, administrative staff, parents and patients and MOST of the nurses. That there is a small percentage of nurses that I think did not conduct themselves in a professional and respectful way towards me and several other residents.  And give them specific examples were they were refusing to do what I was asking.

I still have 3 months to go, so plenty of examples to collect. I will take the 3 worst ones and expose them during the evaluation, without giving away the names. The worst thing that could happen is that I can not come back to work there (I don't want to) and that in my next residency, the nurses (by word-of-mouth) could give me shit.

I refuse to let these people continue to do their shitty attitude. They found a job with a good pay and minimal work (yes, it's stressful but it's part of the deal) and some do the minimum in my eyes.

What do you think?

One variable here is the personality of the evaluator.

If you meet a "paper-pusher" type of person who prefers to collect his paycheck and doesn't care about how things really work, then... You are basically criticizing his own ilk.

But if he is a driver/type A type of guy, chances are high he will love that attitude.
Almost all owners and/or people with an actual personal stake tend to type As. But also in public organizations, there are plenty. Usually, the higher you go, the more type As who love that attitude.

People who want to get things done love other people who strive hard for efficiency and great work.
These types of people might look at the nurses who complained and think "of course, they don't like that John doesn't accept their laziness".

Overall, I'd advise that you make sure you frame it positively.
Such as "here is how we can improve even better from a human resources point of view. Here are some examples, and here is the type of people we need less of, and these are the types of people we need more of".

If you frame that way, chances are that he will think that you are future upper management material.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Boom. Golden. I didn't think about this approach, thank you for your perspective. I'm going to do that. I think it's the smartest move. Problem -> Solution.

I will be careful also about who will be evaluating me.

Thanks!

Let us know how it goes!

I will! It's in 3 months time.

Hello guys,

in 10 days I will have the last evaluation. I think this organization has two big problems:

1. The nurses team and the collaboration with them
  2. Teaching to resident: almost non-existent

Of course, it's Switzerland so they think they're doing an amazing job. Then of course, you have all the politicking and gossiping, but this is not something I will bring up as it is the (toxic) culture. The thing is that I will return to this organization for 3 more months in 3 months as they decide where we go every 6 months. We can ask, but they have the final word.

Would you talk about the problems with the nurses knowing it's a tight-knit group of many bullies and you will coming back to work there for 3 more months?

I can always talk about it at the end of the 3 months in the future, though. But I feel that if I don't talk about it, I would not have the integrity I want to have for my Life.

I'm afraid that they will amp up the bullying and power moves after I speak about it. Because, of course they will hear about it knowing the size and culture of the organization. And since I proved the quality of my work and that I worked 6 months there, my word will have quite a bit of weight.

Or maybe I should speak about it and stand the amped-up agression in 3 months as I know I can?

I know I'm not the only resident who had trouble with the nurses. If nobody speaks up, it allows them to continue.

Also how do you think I should talk about this issue?

Very good question.

Delivering feedback on improvement areas is always a thorny subject, and especially so at work.

Since you will be back there, you have this other opportunity available:

1. Share a little bit now: keep it general, make no names, and balance it with the positive of 70-80% positive, 20-30% improvement feedback
  2. Share far more after you're back: now you can go more in the specifics, even provide example, share that it wasn't just you (increase authority) and test how open and receptive they are. If they're open, share ideas for improvement as well

I'd personally go for this strategy actually.

The positive balance is the most important thing, together with:

• Framing the feedback: frame not as a negative/complaint, and not even as a "here's what need to be fixed", but as a "here's how we can do even better".

P.S.: Rotation and change

Super cool you get to move, man. That's a great opportunity for gaining far more political awareness, much quicker. You get to experience a different environment and place, and that also allows you to make comparisons -super important for effective learning-.