Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Marketers are the modern day snake oil salesmen

From "The Confidence Game" I'm listening to:

When Shelby Hunt and Lawrence Chonko gave the Machiavellianism scale to 1,000 professional marketers, they found that over 10 percent scored in the highest possible range—and far, far above the population average.

And:

In other words, they were among the highest possessors of traits that hinged on manipulation and deception. And yet they engaged in a legitimate business. None of them were criminals.

I'm not one bit surprised.

Some of the courses that some people on this forum described -or complained of- sounded like perfect snake oil sales products.

Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but for sure it was "OK" products heavily over-sold.
And the "just OK products" presented as if it were groundbreaking, life-changing stuff is not the exception, but the norm.

Edit: typos

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on May 21, 2021, 2:23 pm

I'm not one bit surprised one bit.

Some of the same courses that several people on this forum described -or complained of- sounded like perfect snake oil sales products.

Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but for sure it was "OK" products heavily over-sold.
And the "just OK products" presented as if it were groundbreaking, life-changing stuff is not the exception, but the norm.

I watched a video today on Doublespeak: How to Lie Without Lying.
In my opinion, it is a form of lying by omission and manipulative framing.
You leave out certain facts & figures to help you frame the context to your benefit.

Here is Ronald Reagan talking up the benefits of the following graph to persuade people on the tax benefits of passing his party's bill:

Notice anything weird?

Here is the full graph with all the number:

Here is the video segment explaining how Ronald Reagan is employing doublespeak:

I should read your book How to Lie with Statistics.
I think so many marketers and market research companies use these tactics.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Thanks guys this has confirmed a decision I d already made on gut feel.  Moving away from managing CRM systems projects more into finance systems.  As a low Mach trying to deliver projects for the marketers was killing me.  Direction changed every time they caught the ear of a superior and they spend half their day doing that.  And they re expert at Mgmt by sound bite

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Quote from Transitioned on May 22, 2021, 4:10 am

Thanks guys this has confirmed a decision I d already made on gut feel.  Moving away from managing CRM systems projects more into finance systems.

I am quite curious about finance people as well.
I have a feeling that they are Machiavellian as well but more understated.

Probably Machiavellian financiers were responsible for the subprime mortgage crisis between 2007 and 2010.

I'd guess it depends a lot on what type of finance.

Finance as in accounting or as in balance sheet analysis is probably a slow field that doesn't attract the more reward-oriented folks and the ones looking for quick bucks.
Finance as in trading, deal-making, and anything where money flows easily probably a different story.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...