Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Meta-skills inventory

Hello guys,

I think that meta-skills are very important. I would like to make an inventory of them, at least the most important ones. Here is my current list:

• Focus/Concentration
  • Detachment
  • Strategic thinking
  • Introspection

I'm not including all the skills that we already talked about on this site/forum: Negotiation, Social skills, etc. but the ones that can influence all the other ones e.g. meta-skills.

Do you have more to contribute?

Cheers!

• Critical thinking

That's always been a huge one for me, and one that I've seen lacking a lot around.

Critical thinking is about asking yourself:

• Is the speaker potentially biased in some ways
  • Can the speaker credibly talk about this topic
  • Does the speaker have conflicts of interest
  • Is the message logic
  • Does the speaker include the possibility of exceptions, or shades of grey
  • How about the exceptions?

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Thanks for your answer. Indeed. Is “fooled by randomness” the best resource you found on critical thinking?

So far, one of the best, yes.

Still, it's not specific on critical thinking.

I've read somewhere there is one book that seems to be more specific, it's on my reading list, but I can't remember the name right now, and obviously, I haven't gotten to it yet.

Still, it seems to be one of those fields that, like power dynamics, hasn't been properly broken down and codified yet (but I'm glad that one is more outside the scope of this website :).

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on February 17, 2021, 9:05 pm

So far, one of the best, yes.

Ok thanks! I haven't read it yet.

I've read somewhere there is one book that seems to be more specific, it's on my reading list, but I can't remember the name right now, and obviously, I haven't gotten to it yet.

Alright, in case you read it, I'm interested about the title.

Still, it seems to be one of those fields that, like power dynamics, hasn't been properly broken down and codified yet (but I'm glad that one is more outside the scope of this website :).

Hahaha, yes. No "Critical thinking University". Otherwise the work never ends! But who knows? 😉

More seriously, yes. That is becoming one of my arguments to say that we are quite advanced in the material knowledge but not so much in the psychological realm. All the holes in our knowledge.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Alright, in case you read it, I'm interested about the title.

Will most certainly do.

If it's good, maybe not a "Critical Thinking University" -good one, BTW :D-, but a "best resources for critical thinking skills" might be in the cards 🙂

By the way, how about the one we talked about some time ago:

• Emotional intelligence: the "feel" for social dynamics

It underpins and provides the foundation to a lot when it comes to social success and general life-success, including:

• Power dynamics
  • Social strategies
  • Dating, from meeting, to seducing, to picking the right partners
  • Getting to know people, developing rapport
  • Making and deepening friendships
  • Setting up and maintaining value-adding relationships

And pretty much anything people-related.

John Freeman and Transitioned have reacted to this post.
John FreemanTransitioned

Definitely. I forgot about this one. Key meta-skill. Emotions are so deep in our biological make-up. They are ever-present in everything we do. Also in our self-management. How do we react when we fail? When we lose a dear one? When we are tired?

Lucio Buffalmano and Transitioned have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoTransitioned