Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Not answering 'when does your contract finish'

I m in a game where most roles are contracts and contracts pay more.  So many talks with recruiters.

They all love gathering info for their database so they can have power when they ring you.

I don't want to answer that question as there s no benefit for me and potential downside.

So to preserve rapport I m thinking.

"I think we do some good business together" -  collaborative frame and promise of future benefit.

"I d rather discuss that down the track'.  - I m keeping this short as I don't want to expand a negative thread.

Anyone got a better way?

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood

Have you thought about this preframe:

Yeah, let me preface that by saying that things are going quite well here and an extension is in the cards / we're also talking about an extension

That way you add a natural competitor for them, and it doesn't sound like after the date you're free, which empowers them and disempowers you.

The "continuation of the contract" seems the most natural way to make yourself scarce and in-demand, while still keeping a collaborative tone as until it's signed, it's normal that you want to explore other options.

Once you preframe it that way, then you can more openly communicate the date, without losing power:

That being said, currently, it's set to continue until...

You might want to stress that "currently" just to re-state that it's not set in stone.

I'd personally avoid the word "end" and frame it instead "it lasts until".
Small detail, but shifts the focus on "currently busy" and "busy until", rather than "looking for employment from that time on".

Matthew Whitewood and Transitioned have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodTransitioned
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Interesting - nice nuance in the words.  Thanks - you reminded me.  I used to do a similar sidestep.

Normally I m looking at about the 6 month mark  So I used to say 'well I came in on on a short term contract which they renewed so it might keep rolling.  Anyway what I really like about this opportunity is....'

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Quote from Transitioned on July 2, 2021, 1:50 am

'well I came in on on a short term contract which they renewed so it might keep rolling.  Anyway what I really like about this opportunity is....'

That's a greart one.

It shows they liked you first and that they kept liking you after seeing you in action, great.

Instead of "they" swap to "we", so it doesn't sound like you accept anything that comes your way: you were an active participant in the decision.

And then you can bridge similar to what you've done:

But still, one it's good to keep your options open, and second, what I like about this...

Indirectly saying "If you can tempt me enough, maybe.... ".

Matthew Whitewood and Transitioned have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodTransitioned
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...