Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Obama: women make for better leaders (& lies make you more popular)

Turns out, Obama said:

Obama: Women are not perfect, but indisputably better than men

Indisputably?

Obama: I’m absolutely confident that, for two years, if every nation on earth was run by women, you would see a significant improvement across the board on just about everything — living standards and outcomes

Absolutely confident?

Obama: Women seem to have a better capacity than men do, partly because of their socialization

"Partly" because of socialization", LOL 😀

This is how I read Obama's comment:

• He's either lying or self-interested (just like anyone else)

Obama wanted to sound prosocial, and self-effacing.

But he actually proved the opposite.

If Obama really believed women are better than men and everyone would be better off with women leading countries, than all he had to do was to let Hillary Clinton win.

And millions of Americans would have been visibly better off.

But he didn't.

Obama either doesn't believe what he said, or he put his own self-interest above that of millions of Americans.
Pick whichever you prefer.

• For public success, you must lie: say what's expedient, not what's true

This one saddens me, but I'm afraid that's just how it is.
At least if you want to be a politician (exceptions rarely apply, see, in part, Trump)

Please notice how Obama phrased this:

Women seem to have a better capacity than men do, partly because of their socialization

Our current zeitgeist still rejects anything based on nature, genes, and evolution -yes, we're finally moving past that, but not yet!-.

So today it's much safer to ascribe behavior and differences to culture and socialization, rather than genetical differences.

Obama smartly avoids the word "genetics", or "evolution" in favor of "socialization".
Of course, that's also the equivalent of saying "partly because of their genetical makeup", but the way he phrased, he "hid" the truth in favor of an half-lie.

Today's differences in the West are probably more genetical than cultural, but since public success does not depend on truth, but on what's expedient, Obama went for the half-lie.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

BTW, he might actually not be wrong that in modern countries "more typically feminine dispositions" -let's not generalize too much- could help make the world a better place.

Men are more likely than women to form strong ingroup/outgroup distinctions, which leads to social conflict or international conflict.
And laboratory studies of simulated war games find that men are substantially more likely than women to attack another country, even without provocation (Johnson et al., 2006).

So we would probably enjoy less social conflict, a lower risk of war, and we might save some money on military spending.

The same is not necessarily true for companies, which often gain from risk and head-on competition.
Maybe the topic for a good post.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...