Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Online Test on Human Associations to Measure Biases

NOTE:
This is about implicit bias, not active discrimination.
This is potentially uncomfortable.
If you are not comfortable with any sort of bias on the topic of race, religion, sex, please do not read below.

I got interested in my own biases after listening to the audiobook "Negotiation Genius".

I googled online tests on human biases and found this online test.
Project Implicit
You can take the quiz above if you are interested in finding out more about your own associations.
Very simple quiz. Press button A if this and button B if that.

Associations do not directly mean you are biased, but it means you should be cautious of how you associate concepts in your mind.
And what the media brainwashes you over the years.

I am more biased than I think I am.
At first, this cognitive dissonance was quite shocking and scary.
Now I feel that I have found out a huge piece of information that I did not know about.

There is no shame or guilt in having biases.
Accept them and do your best to prepare yourself to counteract these biases.

I believe everyone will benefit from understanding their own biases better.
I will share the results of my test below.

Note that this is implicit bias.
I do not actively discriminate against any particular group of people.
In fact, I took this test to be aware of my own biases so that I can be less biased when making judgements.

Reflecting on My Ego

I felt shocked and a bit disappointed in myself about the level of bias that I have.
This reflected that a part of my ego was not anti-fragile.

I was proud of the fact that I was an objective, fair person.
A person without biases.

Now my anti-fragile ego statement will be

I will do my best to be aware of my implicit biases and potential thinking fallacies.
From this awareness, I will strive to make objective and fair decisions.
If I fail to do so sometimes, that is understandable because I am human.
What matters is that I have done my best to be objective and fair in my decision-making.

Types of Quizzes in Project Implicit

Transgender ('Transgender People – Cisgender People' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish photos of transgender celebrity faces from photos of cisgender celebrity faces.

I am slightly biased towards transgender people apparently.
This is a bit inconclusive because I found it challenging to distinguish the faces of cisgender and transgender people.

Gender - Science. This IAT often reveals a relative link between liberal arts and females and between science and males.

I am moderately biased in associating male with science and female with liberal arts.

Disability ('Disabled - Abled' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to recognize symbols representing abled and disabled individuals.

I am moderately in favour of abled individuals.

Presidents ('Presidential Popularity' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to recognize photos of Donald Trump and one or more previous presidents.

I have neutral towards Donald Trump.

Sexuality ('Gay - Straight' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish words and symbols representing gay and straight people. It often reveals an automatic preference for straight relative to gay people.

I am moderately biased towards straight people.

Religion ('Religions' IAT). This IAT requires some familiarity with religious terms from various world religions.

I am moderately biased towards Christianity when compared against Judaism.

Age ('Young - Old' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish old from young faces. This test often indicates that Americans have automatic preference for young over old.

I am moderately biased towards young people.

Gender - Career. This IAT often reveals a relative link between family and females and between career and males.

I moderately associate male with careers and female with family.

Asian American ('Asian - European American' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to recognize White and Asian-American faces, and images of places that are either American or Foreign in origin.

I slightly associate Asian Americans as foreign and European American as Americans.

Skin-tone ('Light Skin - Dark Skin' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to recognize light and dark-skinned faces. It often reveals an automatic preference for light-skin relative to dark-skin.

I am moderately biased towards people with light-skin tone.

Arab-Muslim ('Arab Muslim - Other People' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish names that are likely to belong to Arab-Muslims versus people of other nationalities or religions.

I am moderately biased towards non-Muslims.

Race ('Black - White' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish faces of European and African origin. It indicates that most Americans have an automatic preference for white over black.

I am moderately biased towards white.

Weapons ('Weapons - Harmless Objects' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to recognize White and Black faces, and images of weapons or harmless objects.

I moderately associate White faces with harmless objects and Black faces with weapons.

Weight ('Fat - Thin' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish faces of people who are obese and people who are thin. It often reveals an automatic preference for thin people relative to fat people.

I am moderately biased towards thin people.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Interesting. So what are you going to do you do with this new information?

Wow this is cool, thank you for sharing.

Can be eye-opening for some, I think.

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

John: Interesting. So what are you going to do you do with this new information?

Biases are always interesting to discuss openly on this forum.

Improve my decision-making involving people. Be less biased.
Being aware of forming biased impressions on people in my life.

Questions To Ask

1. How do you be more aware of your implicit biases?
  2. Once aware, how do you actively counteract these biases?
  3. Is it possible to shift your implicit biases?
    I think it's possible. You can re-train your mind.
    I believe lots of my implicit biases are due to the media and unhealthy social conditioning.

Books to Read

The manipulation books recommended on this forum.
Best Books on Manipulation

Especially No Logo.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yeah, I'd add a few questions in there:

1. Should I work / care about my biases?
  2. Do all biases I have lead to poorer decision making, in all situations?

Consider that in the recent political climate there is a tendency to conflate "general and proven tendencies" and "personal preferences" with biases.

But the three are not the same and, depending on the scenario, not always bad, and not always necessarily leading to poorer decision-making.

For example, the preference for thin people when it comes to mate choice is (partially) an inborn preference (moot point to be honest, since some cultures prefer rounder women, but let's keep it simple for now: it's just an example).
And today, in a world where food is abundant, avoiding obesity might signal the willingness to take care of oneself, as well the mental elasticity to research basic nutrition facts and avoid consuming junk food on a continuous basis.

Or someone might prefer white skin for dating, while some other might prefer black skin (plenty of white guys I've met when traveling in Africa were there because they were into black girls).
Should one "fight" that personal preference? Moot point. I personally don't see the point.

In some cases, it's fair to be biased.
And in some other cases, biases might not harm your life effectiveness and/or decision making to the point where you need to spend time working on them.

Then, of course, there are the biases that do are making us poorer decision makers, and some which are making us poorer human beings as well.
And for those, it's good to be aware of, and one might willingly decide to work on, or to counter-act when they are faced with the "object of bias".

Matthew Whitewood and Stef have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodStef

Thanks Lucio!
The important factor is the scenario.
To not let generalities be an automatic guide to decision-making.
Is your personal preference contributing to a bias in a given scenario?

I would like to add my view on how I see the 3 points:

1. general and proven tendencies - a societal-wide inclination for a specific class of people to lean towards something
  2. personal preferences - an individual inclination towards something
  3. biases - incorrect assumptions when making decisions in certain situations

To give several examples, to make sure we don't conflate the 3 different points,

Example A - Hiring Men/Women for Labour-Intensive Jobs

A preference for hiring men over women for labour-intensive jobs makes sense because men are statistically stronger than women in general.
It is a good rule-of-thumb and under the general and proven tendencies.

However, it becomes biased when one encounters a woman who is stronger than the average man.
And when one is not able to see that the general and proven tendency does not apply to this specific situation.
In this case, one would be biased and have made an incorrect assumption.

Example B - Preferring Tea Over Coffee

If I prefer tea over coffee because of the flavour, that's a personal preference.

However, when I start claiming that I prefer tea over coffee because it's healthier, I may not be making informed assumptions about the topic.
I am becoming biased when making decisions for my health by letting my personal preference cloud my judgement.

Example C - Hiring Women For Leadership Positions

From Power University, many men prefer women to not be more powerful than them because subconsciously they have one less potential mate.
So, in hiring and corporate scenarios, it is important to keep this personal preference in check to avoid it becoming a bias.

Consider that in the recent political climate there is a tendency to conflate "general and proven tendencies" and "personal preferences" with biases.Consider that in the recent political climate there is a tendency to conflate "general and proven tendencies" and "personal preferences" with biases.

Some people intentionally conflate "general and proven tendencies" and "personal preferences" with biases.
This is a way of virtue-signalling.
It is a way of shaming biases behind a moral facade that people should be unbiased.

Saying that people are biased when they prefer thin women is a way to signal to others that I am a person who cares about other people's deeper qualities and can see through the superficial elements.

Lucio Buffalmano and Stef have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoStef

thin women

Off topic but I would want to clarify that to the best of my knowledge no culture has ever finded obese women attractive, one thing is a thicker latina hourglass body shape, maybe even extra thick (a bit overweight), yet whale-body type with apple body fat distribution pattern I find it hard to believe it would have been the ideal in any culture, time period, or ever will.

Great post, Matthew, perfectly well put, and pretty much says all there is to say about biases and how/when to tackle them, link-worthy from any source that discusses personal biases.
Edit: linked from a few articles.

And Stef, yes you're right, I might have inadvertently created confusion when I wrote "obese" in the second sentence.

Matthew Whitewood and Stef have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodStef
Processing...