Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Part of a minority? Dress up!

Hello guys,

this is something that I learned after many years of being of mixed background. It's only recently that I started to wear shirts at work and I could see the difference in how I was being treated. Nothing says "I'm a professional" than putting effort in how you look like at work. This is the external layer of course.

Here is my recent journey regarding style. I was building my wardrobe for an edgy style when I encountered TPM.

However, through Lucio, I understood that power and status matter for dating success. That it is more important to be higher status through outfit than to fit a certain demographics. In short. So I change the orientation of my wardrobe to smart casual (the examples below are not the best examples, though).

So I definitely get more respect and it also changes my self-image.

Why did I specify "part of a minority"? Because when you're part of a minority, you have a deficit in status in many situations. It will not be obvious nor explicit. However, dress up and you will see that people respect you more. That is true for anybody. However, if for some reason, your external layer gives you a deficit in status, you MUST dress up. Otherwise, you will be at a status deficit. A white man with a hoodie does not project the same image (in terms of socio-educo-economical class) than a black man with a hoodie. I know it sucks, it's stupid but I had to accept that is how it is.

What I mean is that by dressing up you actively fight the passive negative stereotype associated with your minority.

Why do your clothes reflect your status? Because they reflect the resources at your disposal and your resources reflect on your ability to acquire them.

Note: I posted this in Power Dynamics as I think this is not so much about style as it is about your status reflected by your clothes.

Cheers!

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Great post, John, makes total sense, and I agree.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?