Please or Register to create posts and topics.

(Continued Discussion) Power Dynamics of Going on Mainstream Media from Niche Fields

Lucio and John have given a lot of insightful perspectives about whether to go on mainstream media on this thread.
Richard La Ruina getting shame-attacked

I would like to put continue this discussion on a separate thread and give my views.
The discussion on Richard La Ruina media interview mistakes started by John was very interesting.
And it led to this discussion on the power dynamics of going on mainstream media from niche fields.

I will quote the 2 important sections by Lucio and John.

From Lucio,

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on February 22, 2021, 5:43 pm

POWER DYNAMICS OF GOING ON MAINSTREAM MEDIA FROM NICHE FIELDS

Going on mainstream media from niche and "frowned upon" fields is a major risk.

Chances are high that hosts will try to dismantle and attack you to:

1. Virtue-signal
  2. Keep their job secure by distancing against "risky" guests
  3. Do some good audience number
  4. The simple pleasure of "throwing their power around" and boss a guest (who is generally lower power than the host)

From the dating scene, this has happened already before with Mystery, Neil Strauss, that guy from RSD.

It also happens with all "frowned upon" content and anything that goes against the PC-zeitgest.
It's also happened to Jordan Peterson, and what made Jordan Peterson huge is that he handled it like a champ.

This is something I also reflected on.
Should I ever go on some larger media as someone writing about power dynamics and (social) strategies to acquire power and status?

With zero experience of talk show, outnumbered, and with no chance of controlling the post-interview editing, you're power-down and fighting against tough odds.

From John,

Quote from John Freeman on February 22, 2021, 6:03 pm
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on February 22, 2021, 5:43 pm

Should I ever go on some larger media as someone writing about power dynamics and (social) strategies to acquire power and status?

I think not. People who are trendsetters or at the forefront will always be viewed in a negative light by the majority. Because of the difference. There is a concept that you might know of minority influence. So I think you could do that if and when you are ready to influence a big group such as a nation. And that takes years if not decades. So it's a whole different mission. I prefer your mission to empower individuals who are seeking to be enlightened. If you focus on finding them and attracting them you will have much better success. As these people will become powerful leaders and you will have influenced them. Remember that my goal is to revolutionise my whole field. By helping me you're facilitating this goal. I think you're better at empowering leaders who want to influence a majority than doing it yourself: more leverage.

My Views

Quote from John Freeman on February 22, 2021, 6:03 pm

By helping me you're facilitating this goal. I think you're better at empowering leaders who want to influence a majority than doing it yourself: more leverage.
On the same page as John.

On the same page as John.

Your mission would bring lots of high-quality, value-adding leaders to the top of their field like John.
And let these leaders handle the more Machiavellian value-takers.
This is very value-adding at scale albeit indirectly because you may not get the full recognition.
I feel that it is especially so for power dynamics since this is a novel, highly practical body of knowledge that you are building.
And this could be passed down for many generations.

There are many powerful people who don't want to share or encode their knowledge. (I think Power University talks quite a bit on this)
Let alone encode knowledge on the darker side of power, and what really works to gain power.

I would also like to give the opportunity costs for not focusing on scale, status for a mission for a balanced perspective.
If you don't focus on scale, you may miss out on external resources like status, money, power.
Which would help if you have other life missions to pursue.
And it would certainly help to fight the powerful value-takers.

As John says, scaling would become a full-time endeavour.
And it may not be a good idea or what you want.
From our discussions, like when you said that you prefer interacting with the most active contributors, you seem to gear more towards empowering value-adders who are inherently drawn to your mission.

Scaling in Entrepreneurship Context

In entrepreneurship, people have many words for these active contributors like early adopters, your champions, etc.
These are probably very small.
The people who help you to contribute towards your mission are even smaller, the innovators.
Here is an interesting article about that.

After the earlier adopters and innovators, the early majority comes.
From my third-person perspective, I think the sign-ups on this forum could have already crossed a little over to the early majority.
Maybe still more towards the early adopters.

And it's a huge decision whether it's worthwhile to spend time persuading this early majority.
Followed by the late majority and lastly laggards.
A huge decision from a vision perspective, return on investment, your time and potentially business model.

Is the Future of Media Away from Big Media Companies?

Some people say the future is about individuals doing their own content marketing and being their own news outlet.
Large news media is losing out to YouTube, Google, Facebook because these platforms empower people to be their own news outlet.
We have single individuals monetising their own content like ThePowerMoves & Stratechery.
Whereas all these large news media are all obsessed with maintaining their information leverage.

If this is the future, you may not even have to worry about going on the large, news media.

Preparing for Media Interviews

Not an expert in media.
But I am keen on working my skills in handling media as well.

I'm going to revisit this book
Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results

It talks about how a CEO can prepare and handle the different public relation streams including media.
The section on Media Interviews is on page 133.

I cannot recall all the points but preparation is a huge portion.
CEOs do mock media interviews with a VP of communications or even their own internal panel.

I always thought that it would be interesting for Toastmasters to extend to another form of communication in addition to public speaking.
Imagine your whole club gets to grill you to prepare for a media interview.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

This is awesome, thank you Matthew!

It's super helpful to get smart-thinkers and strategists' input on this topic.

Also, I think that one step that The Power Moves should take before eventually speaking about itself, is to come up with a simpler, possibly catchier explanation / tagline of its mission and goal.

But generally, I tend to agree with both you and John, and so far let the offers and opportunities for podcasting/interviews slip.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Quote from Matthew Whitewood on February 23, 2021, 8:48 am

It talks about how a CEO can prepare and handle the different public relation streams including media.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

What did you think of this book?

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Quote from Matthew Whitewood on February 23, 2021, 8:48 am

What did you think of this book?

Pretty solid book in my opinion though the author promotes her own website like in Atomic Habits.

I am going through some points in the book.
I will reflect upon them and write on another thread if I find more useful points.

Thanks to John for giving me advice on leading meetings.
The book has a chapter on that which supplements his advice well.

Here are some points quoted directly that stand out to me:

• Get out front. When you have something to say, say it before the media find someone who will discuss the issue or its repercussions.
    If you find lots of negative comments on a particular topic (maybe like red pill), it may be important to release a video to address that.
    Or release one big video to address all the negative comments like what some YouTubers do.
    But, as you said, we don't want to focus too much on the negative voices (avoid thread-expanding on negatives).
  • Act; don’t react. Once you react, you are in a defensive posture. Tell people ahead of time what you are doing, what will happen, or what they can expect.
    Maybe as ThePowerMoves grows, release YouTube videos on how your content could be misinterpreted.
    Talk about double standards, your nuanced interpretations, etc.
  • Talk directly with stakeholders. Make sure everyone who is integral to your business is fully informed by you or your organization and doesn’t get the news about your company indirectly from the media.
    Maybe you don't have stakeholders, but you may have key relationships with freelancers, your Toastmaster club, etc.
    Which may indirectly be important for your business.
  • Develop a crisis plan. Communication-wise and business-wise.
    I'm not sure if you have a crisis plan.
    What if the media comes after you tomorrow.
    Or if there was a serious security breach.

I added the points in italics from ThePowerMoves perspective.
But I'm also learning from these points myself.
Not an expert on public relations by any means.
Though learning power dynamics has certainly helped a lot :).

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano