Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to draw boundaries on the little things, to avoid they become big, without looking petty

From Power University Module #5 about relationship power dynamics:

"In short: accepting even low levels of nastiness and aggression means opening the door to constant nastiness and aggression and, potentially, to ever-deteriorating vicious circles of abuse."

I could not agree more.
Here's my challenge with this: In the heat of the moment, I often hesitate to push back on low levels of nastiness/aggression because I'm worried that I will come across as being "a petty sensitive baby who is bothered by every little thing."

Certainly, I have been accused of such things -- and I'm sure there have been a few cases where that has been the case.  But I do believe there have been many more times where she knows I am right to not accept even the lowest levels of nastiness and aggression but still says "you're so sensitive  . . . " to try to divert attention from the matter at hand.

Your input please.

I do believe that I posted this on the wrong part of the Forum.  I apologize.

Quote from EdnBr on June 24, 2020, 9:05 am

and I'm sure there have been a few cases where that has been the case.  But I do believe there have been many more times where she knows I am right to not accept even the lowest levels of nastiness and aggression but still says "you're so sensitive  . . . " to try to divert attention from the matter at hand.

Ed,

Gives us concrete examples.

Without examples, all I can tell you is "it's possible that you did were too sensitive, and it's also possible that you were right to intervene".

Give us one or two examples of a situation in which you drew boundaries on what you thought was abusive or nasty, and we can give you feedback.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...