Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Realising the Paradox of Choice When Buying Bedsheets

I was reading about how to improve sleep quality.
Then, I realised bedsheets could be important in having a good night's sleep.
Maybe I should be investing more in bedsheets.

I started doing all the comparisons & contrasts with all the different kinds of bedsheets.
Then, I began narrowing down on a few potential options for bedsheets.

Suddenly, I realised that I'm spending too much time on what seems to be the marginal benefits of choosing between the remaining options.
In short, I was being too much of a maximiser.

Then, I read Lucio's review on The Paradox of Choice.

So I had to be clear on my objective and include time spent in the decision-making process as well:

Choosing a new bedsheet that would significantly improve my chances of uninterrupted, quality sleep with a given amount of money and time.

The selected options had already achieved my objective to a large extent.
So I could choose the easiest metric to choose between these selected options: cost.

I think it's also a trap to predict the sleep benefits through the different bedsheet specifications without testing.
Best to choose something somewhat reasonable and maybe try a new bedsheet in a few years.

Now the choice has been made, and I have to be careful of

• hindsight bias - regretting not making a better choice after trying out the bedsheet
  • sunken-cost bias - including the sunken cost into future decisions about bedsheet purchases.
    If the bedsheet is uncomfortable, not buying another one because of my expenditure is sunken-cost bias.
Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yeah, I sympathize with this a lot.

I'm such a maximizer -and so into achieving the "correct" decision- that sometimes I find myself comparing prices of sub-5 items that will add or detract non-consequential cents.

However, by following meta-reasoning processes similar to what Matthew shares, I have also improved hugely on not letting the "maximizer" approach waste my time and mental cycles.
Eventually, even meta-reasoning processes become more natural, ingrained, and quicker.
So it's possible to improve on that, too.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

This seems to mainly occur to me especially when buying things for some reason.
Moreover, things where I'm not an expert in and need to rely on external reviews.
Then, I get confused and keep reading.

Maybe, for other things, I have a plan so it's easier to make decisions.

Maybe the underlying cause is a fear of uncertainty.
This underpins my fear of

• Losing physical control - fear of falling
  • Making decisions with unknowns and no clear-cut, best option

Then there's this YouTube video I watched very long ago (several years back) about "How to make hard choices?":

"Hard choices are hard because there are no best options."

You wouldn't be a maximiser if the best choice is obvious.

If the best choice is still not obvious after doing quite a bit of due diligence, it means that it's really not obvious.
And it could be that there's no best choice (each option has tradeoffs) and things are subjective.

Matthew what happened to time boxing!

Processing...