Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Reward Givers and Punish Takers

Hello guys,

here is an important and simple concept I believe. It obeys the Law of Social Exchange Theory. Here is an example of how I apply it recently:

If I have a great value-adding conversation with an uber driver, I tip him 5 euros. If I have an awesome value-adding conversation with my hairdresser, I tip him 5 euros.

The idea is two fold:

1. To incentivize pro-social behaviors (wider frame)
  2. To compensate the value given in one form in another as a form of recognition of the value given. You might think it's bean-counting. I think it's not. I'm not valuing "Hmmm this advice was 2 euros, and this laugh was 1 euros". It's more a general statement to tell the person: I appreciated the value you provided me and here is the material proof of it, which is undeniable.

I put in the title "and Punish Takers" to leave open future instances where I'll be able to demonstrate punitive action towards anti-social behaviors.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Hey John,

I like this a lot.

Something I also often do as well.
For example:

• If a place provides great service and experience, I might leave a positive review online (and the other way around, see this thread)
  • If a cashier was rude, I might leave without saying goodbye
  • If someone is rude in a social setting, I don't look at them as they speak, drift off, or might "thread amplify" on others when they take value from him/her

Often, it's small things, but small things also matter.

Matthew Whitewood and John Freeman have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodJohn Freeman
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...