Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rollo Tomassi One-Ups Charisma on Command

Rollo: One of the reasons why I wanted to come on here and talk with you guys is because when I was listening to the 2 episodes you did about the red pill I'm like "OK, these guys need to be set straight" right. You guys need... (was just about to add something that sounded even more disempowering)
Ben: that was a fan question, it was unfortunate that... (goes on to explain / justify)

That frames them as clueless.

Or, at least, talking about things they're clueless about.

And it self-frames Rollo as the expert who's on the show to "set them straight".

It didn't look like he set anyone straight on the show, though.
And Ben challenged much of his theories with well-placed questions that Rollo had no convincing answer for.

So the guys didn't need to accept that frame in the slightest.

Even if in the past they misconstrue the red pill, they could have still rejected the frame simply because it was too disempowering for them.

They could have said:

Ben: I remember once we mentioned about the red pill. The title was incorrect maybe, but I'm still not sure there was anything blatantly wrong with the content. Let's talk about it now. What did you disagree with

Probably Rollo would have said that whatever they said was not what the red pill is about.
And at that point, they might have accepted that.

And they might have explained later, after the teacher/pupils frame was removed, where the misunderstanding was.

That's a far better conclusion than having to be schooled by him though.

But I think the guys might have been worried of being labeled "anti red-pill".
That can hurt sales these days since so many guys in social skills self-development think of themselves as red pill.

Matthew Whitewood and Growfast have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodGrowfast
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

This reminds me of the time Obama one-ups Putin when he's not around.

Obama: Every one of these candidates say Obama's weak.
Putin's kicking sand in his face.
When I talk to Putin, he's going to straighten out.
Just looking at him.
And then it turns out they can handle a bunch of CNBC moderators.

Ben: I remember once we mentioned about the red pill. The title was incorrect maybe, but I'm still not sure there was anything blatantly wrong with the content. Let's talk about it now. What did you disagree with

Does the line "I'm still not sure there was anything blatantly wrong with the content."come across as defending oneself? Since it was told after Rollo said he would straighten them which is an attack.

I am not really sure about this.

What are your thoughts?

Also would this as a reply work better or the original one is better for this particular situation.

Ben : You say that because there might have been some sort of miscommunication or maybe that you disagree with the thoughts. Let's have a discussion regarding this and see where we agree and disagree upon. 

The difference with the Obama example is that Rollo one-ups people who are there present with him.

Quote from Growfast on August 30, 2021, 5:05 p

Also would this as a reply work better or the original one is better for this particular situation.

Ben : You say that because there might have been some sort of miscommunication or maybe that you disagree with the thoughts. Let's have a discussion regarding this and see where we agree and disagree upon. 

Do you think it works well?

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on August 30, 2021, 11:17 pm

The difference with the Obama example is that Rollo one-ups people who are there present with him.

Quote from Growfast on August 30, 2021, 5:05 p

Do you think it works well?

Not sure. What are your thoughts?

It sounds convoluted to me.

And slightly accusatory with the "you say that because... ".

Nothing too bad or too wrong with it, just doesn't sound like the smoothest possible option.

Growfast has reacted to this post.
Growfast
Processing...