Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Shame attacks from vegetarians

Hello guys,

how to react to shame attacks from vegetarians?

I do believe it is morally superior not to eat animals. Their frame is superior to mine I believe. In this case I am not aligned with my principles.

What do you think of these situations where someone is behaving in accordance with their principles and you're not?

Cheers!

I have been shame attacked by vegetarians as well.

I think they are hiding behind their principles to force their beliefs onto other people.
Which I don't think is cool.

Even if you believe their principles are superior in some sense, I don't think it's right for them to shame you for a grey area.
Because shame is kind of recruiting society on their side.
For a grey area, I don't think it's fair.

What do you think about

Him: It is not morally right to eat animals

Me: We have different values. I will continue eating meat. You can be vegetarian.

We may have different views on this topic.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I do believe it's morally superior to not eat animals (see my post above). I agree with them.

Quote from John Freeman on February 10, 2021, 9:04 am

I do believe it is morally superior not to eat animals.

So I would say: "Well congrats, man! I think what you're doing is the right thing. Thanks for the inspiration!"

The thing is this girl she said nothing but it was in the way she looked at me (or maybe my conscience is torturing me 😉 ).

Quote from Matthew Whitewood on February 10, 2021, 9:08 am

I have been shame attacked by vegetarians as well.

LOL, everyone has I think :D.

It's like that joke "how do you know someone is a vegetarian? It's the first thing they tell you" :).

Not all, of course, and I generally respect vegetarians a lot. But some also see it and use it as a power tool.

John: "Well congrats, man! I think what you're doing is the right thing. Thanks for the inspiration!"

I like this one.
Good power move and frame to end with "thanks for the inspiration".

If it's a woman one might be romantically interested in though, that risks a bit breaking rapport too much, so one might strategically transform it to

"I think what you're doing is the right thing, I've always been interested myself, just never resolved to do the jump myself as I also train a bit and meat can be useful there. But I appreciate and value vegetarians I respect you for doing it, well done"

That should cover all the basis of you being an (almost) equally moral individual, humblebragging about taking care of yourself, plus rewarding her from a power position.

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I'm thinking if it is a good idea to date a woman if she shames you for not being vegetarian.

The thing is some vegetarians feel strongly about sharing their beliefs and don't intend on pulling power moves. Some do as Lucio mentioned.

So it may be a good thing to look at the other aspects of the character of the person.

Quote from Matthew Whitewood on February 10, 2021, 2:19 pm

I'm thinking if it is a good idea to date a woman if she shames you for not being vegetarian.

So it may be a good thing to look at the other aspects of the character of the person.

Those are fair questions to ask oneself.

If the same was once at the beginning, it might be a small red flag, but even a positive sign of someone with very high moral standards and expectations.
So it's important to see the whole persona.
What's also important then is whether it stops -good-, or keeps ongoing -bad-.

I dated a vegetarian once and even though she was very open-minded and never tried to convert me, the random comment on "a piece of dead animal" can grow stale after a while.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...