Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Study: prestige beats dominance

From this research: "The dominance dilemma: Do women really prefer dominant mates?"

In simple terms:

• Dominance: the acquisition of power and status with the use of force or the threat of force
  • Prestige: the acquisition of power thanks to the recognition of knowledge, abilities, or skills. Status is awarded by willing followers

The result of the studies:

Study 1 showed that women preferred targets on whom peers conferred prestige based status because of specific knowledge or skills to targets who achieved dominance-based status through strategies of force or the threat of force, given equivalent status outcomes.

Study 2 further demonstrated that, when dominance and prestige are manipulated independently, women consistently prefer high prestige to low prestige.

Women did not prefer targets who used dominance-based strategies to achieve status in a different context outside of a socially sanctioned athletic contest; indeed, they generally preferred low dominance to high dominance in the non-athletic contexts in Studies 2 and 3.

Such as, when it comes to dating, acquiring power and status with prestige, by making others want to follow, is superior to the use of coercion.

John Freeman and Serena Irina have reacted to this post.
John FreemanSerena Irina
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Love is stronger than Fear.

Lucio Buffalmano and Serena Irina have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoSerena Irina

In other words, it emphasizes the importance of the warmth. It is not enough to have high power - although it is far better than being  low power and low warmth. I think, for what I have already read, the warmth in this context is the equivalent of charisma /magnetism. Always a good strategy to go for it.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Quote from Serena Irina on May 10, 2021, 11:47 am

In other words, it emphasizes the importance of the warmth. It is not enough to have high power - although it is far better than being  low power and low warmth. I think, for what I have already read, the warmth in this context is the equivalent of charisma /magnetism. Always a good strategy to go for it.

Yes, you could put it that way.

Power as in dominance expressed in "me more dominant than you" is ultimately value-taking.
Power as in "I'm being rewarded for the value I bring, and I keep it using that power well" is value-giving.

Matthew Whitewood and Serena Irina have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodSerena Irina
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...