Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Talking with social climbers publicly of privately at work?

Hello guys,

Situation

Yesterday, a social climber nurse gave me a phone call during our medical staff evening meeting. She knows she's not supposed to bother us during this moment. They DO NOT STAND being bothered during their own nurse staff evening meeting AT ALL. She called me and told me it's an emergency because one of our colleagues is waiting for information to get medicine for a patient on the 6th floor below.

So basically, the woman she's talking about is an assistant nurse who has little job to do during the day and spend her time chatting around. This woman had the task to go get some drug 6th floor below with an elevator. You see how exhausted she must have been and how long she must have walked.

I said it was not an emergency. She basically screamed in the phone it was an emergency (remember crazy social climber). So basically I took the call. Remember at the moment I'm surrounded by all my senior colleagues talking about complex cases and making decisions. In 10 seconds they'll be waiting on me to talk about the next patient. It's kind of forbidden to take a call during a medical staff evening meeting. We always hand the phone to someone else. That's what I should have done.

So she hand me over to the pharmacist who asks me some questions about allergies and stuff. I said: "I'm very sorry but I cannot talk to you right now. I'm really busy, my colleague insisted but I cannot talk to you".

My resident colleague mom A. looked at me and I told her: "the nurse told me it's an emergency, but it's to get a drug. An emergency is when a child has a fever".

Another event to give some more context: earlier she tried to task me while she was next to my supervisor who was short-circuiting me by giving orders directly to the nurses. The social climber nurse know that and take the opportunity to turn her head and try to task me

Remember this one: social climbers will get their revenge.

So now I'm considering going assertive with her like this:

"I want to clarify something with you: getting a drug from the pharmacy 6th floor below is not an emergency. You know that during the evening medical staff meeting only real emergencies matter. You knew it was closing in 1 hour and we still had time".

But I'm afraid this is going to escalate if I do it publicly. I'm afraid that if I do it privately (a long time fear of mine) she will distort our conversation and use it against me.

The other option is to do nothing of it. However, she clearly disrespected me and this would set a precedent. I will work directly with her 1 more week and then rarely when I'm on the night shift. My ego can take it. I just want to learn!

Any input on this one guys? On the situation and the general question of asserting ourselves publicly or privately with social climbers.

So she hand me over to the pharmacist who asks me some questions about allergies and stuff. I said: "I'm very sorry but I cannot talk to you right now. I'm really busy, my colleague insisted but I cannot talk to you".

My resident colleague mom A. looked at me and I told her: "the nurse told me it's an emergency, but it's to get a drug. An emergency is when a child has a fever".

I believe the situation was handled well on the spot.
It was phrased assertively while painting the context towards the work context and priorities.

"I want to clarify something with you: getting a drug from the pharmacy 6th floor below is not an emergency. You know that during the evening medical staff meeting only real emergencies matter. You knew it was closing in 1 hour and we still had time".

Clarifying privately is a good idea in my opinion.
I think removing the "You"s may avoid an escalation even if she does know what you are talking about.
To avoid any emotional triggers and get the nurse to listen.

The screaming could be addressed as well.
That was quite out of line.

I am thinking along the lines of

The evening medical staff meeting is a focused meeting.
I cannot take any non-emergency calls during this meeting out of respect for everyone's time and to maximise the effectiveness of this meeting. (asserting the boundary of only taking emergency calls)
You could approach this other person during this time regarding getting a drug from the parmacy on 6th floor. (helping her while handing the responsibility back indirectly)

Screaming over the phone does not help in moving the conversation forward.
We can talk fast if it's an emergency.

Processing...