Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tearjerk stories, fallen homies, & "holy business missions"

In "The Subtle of Not Giving a Fuck" Mark Manson tells the story of a friend of his who died.

AS far as I remember, the friend had said something deep to the author right in the same evening before he died.
And that stuck with Manson deeply.

It was indeed all so well written, that it had moved me.

As far as I know, the story might be true and Manson seems like an OK guy -albeit I don't really know-.

That being said, I can totally see how that the same script could be a Machiavellian ploy to frame oneself -and one's business- as "holy", "blessed", and "motivated by higher ideals".

When I wanted to publish "Dating Power Dynamics" I had listened to "Published" by Chandler Bolt, a guy who was all over YouTube ads for a period -and I think Ali read him, or used his services?-.

Well, turned out, he had the same exact story that Manson had shared.
It might have also been true, but in that case, I felt it was disingenuous and manipulative.

As a rule of thumb, when I hear tear-jerk stories that spurred people to people and motivated businesses, I tend to be skeptical.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on April 29, 2021, 5:29 am

That being said, I can totally see how that the same script could be a Machiavellian ploy to frame oneself -and one's business- as "holy", "blessed", and "motivated by higher ideals".

I resonate with this.
Even if the story is true, I get the feeling that the primary purpose of the story is to get people to buy into some journey, brand, belief, etc.
When one feels emotionally attached to the brand, one spends more money on the brand's products & services.

It reminds me of the book No Logo.
No Logo is a genius book.

I think the more transparent way of motivating by higher ideals would be

• Testimonials of customers who improved their lives in a balanced manner from the business
  • Timeline of the business - milestones, new products/services, new objectives

Then again, the above can be used in manipulative ways too.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yes, true, even when the story is "real", it might be embellished or used by a more unscrupulous subject who actually couldn't care less to make the narrative more compelling.

Still totally cool to use it, but at the same time, I'd wonder about the veracity of the story and wouldn't necessarily take it at face value.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...