Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The greatest joy in my job

Hello guys,

there are a lot of projections about people working in healthcare. However, I think I want to share with you what is most important in my job. It's the people. Some bonds are created and these bonds are powerful bonds. Because we are all weak. That's what I learned as a doctor. And it's ok. That is what we all share: a finite life, some moments, ideas and beliefs. Not much more, not much less.

Cheers!

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood

Because we are all weak.

I realised this when I dislocated my shoulder.
Modern-day healthcare is fantastic.
I could not imagine what would happen if I was born a few thousand years ago.

But life goes on as you say!

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman

Because we are all weak.

Very interesting way of reaching empathy.

Actually, it could be a very empowering belief.

1. It's antifragile
  2. You stop looking up to people as if they were gods, because you know that everyone is weak in their moment of need

Sure, there must be some caveats.
Like it can't be held in the sense of "we're worthless" or "we can't accomplish shit". And must be accompanied by some more other beliefs, like "I do my best", and "if we focus on something, we can do great things, even as finite beings".

But a well-rounded guy could definitely hold that belief and make it very empowering.

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

It could be a very empowering belief.

It is. That is how I connect with my patients every day.

Like it can't be held in the sense of "we're worthless" or "we can't accomplish shit".

Of course not!

And must be accompanied by some more other beliefs, like "I do my best", and "if we focus on something, we can do great things, even as finite beings".

It does not have to be. It's more: "we're all weak and it's ok". It's a starting base. Can you fly? I know I cannot. Are you the fastest man on Earth? I know I'm not. Are you the smartest? I know I'm not. But it's ok. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm happy either way.

I'm doing my best to expand my knowledge and skills. However, I'm ok with being where I'm at.

We learn this by working at the hospital. What do we see at the hospital? (Adult or children) patients or parents who thought they were in control and had it all figured out. And Life says: "Uh uh. Now you're sick/injured/going to die. What are you going to do about it?"

It's only people who are young and healthy who live in this illusion of "I'm strong". You're strong for now. But when we realize one day we'll be an old fart, then we can be kinder.

Weakness does not mean you're not able. It means you're not perfect nor immortal. And it's ok. I hope it's clearer?

But a well-rounded guy could definitely hold that belief and make it very empowering.

That's the plan!