Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The "template" cold reach out: do it well, or you're just annoying people (Sebastian Schieke example)

Let's define an email template as:

A pre-formatted email with a pitch meant to be sent to a large list of people, but with a few fields to edit and customize for the individual receiver

Templates are great.

They can increase your ROI by many folds.

So this is obviously not a knock on template reach outs, which indeed I'd recommend as the way to go for larger campaigns.

The issue is with poorly thought templates.

Because a poor template reach out is worse than a generic email with no customization whatsoever (or with only the "to field" as customization).

A poor template sub-communicates:

I'm trying to make it seem like I actually know you, but it's obvious that I don't. And if you fall for it, you self-frame yourslef as easy to manipulate (= you self-frame as stupid)

It comes across as low-level manipulation.

And low-level manipulations often annoy the receiver.

Here is an example:

• "Love what you're doing at + website" = typical template where you just add the website you're just spamming
  • "While I was reviewing your impressive website" = typical generical compliment that the sender doesn't have to adjust

And here comes the worst part:

• Especially the work you did with "Money Master the Game" 
    • "The work" = generic sentence he doesn't need to adjust

Complimenting on the wrong thing is worse than not complimenting at all

The funny thing is, the sender probably thought that was the best part of his email because it's the most "targeted".

I indeed reviewed that book.

I'm guessing that this guy is targeting websites that reviewed a specific book.
Then probably scours the web for another book, or another program, and pesters any website with the same email, but a different "work" he "especially likes".

It seems like a smart approach... On paper.

But there is one big issue with that:

The reviews that people do of other people's work is usually not the work they're most proud of.

I receive this email and I'd think: "of all the cool things this website has done around power dynamics and social strategies, this dum**** thinks that the best thing is a review of a book on basic financial literacy?"

So in the end he ends with only generic and lower quality websites that reply to his email -the ones that don't have much own work to be proud of-.
And the higher authority websites that could better help him succeed instead will go ahead and mark his email for what it actually is: spam.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...