Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tony Stark is a pussy-whipped bitch (Iron Man case study)

Alright, the title is a bit exaggerated.

But still quite true.

Among the traits and behavior that make him low-power:

• He chases her
  • He is unassertive
  • He never tasks, but executes her tasks
  • He needs her (emotional) approval (=he's a victim of judge frames, rather than being him the judge)
  • He over-jokes, and:
    • Uses irony to defuse tension
    • Uses irony to avoid true emotional connection

Some of the scenes that show it:

The last one is especially telling. She promises a sexual reward if he does something that she wants, and he goes all "woooow", like a 14 YO virgin.

I personally really dislike this character.

He is presented under a fake guise of cool and power, probably because of the actor that plays him. But in truth, he's quite pathetic.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

True.  But its not the actor that presents him as cool and with power. Minus the excessive narcissism that Tony Starks comes to inhibit (and he probably would have had this trait if he didn't die). Tony Starks comic or movie simplified is a genius billionaire lonely playboy(this seems to have been less in the movies) man-child who chases after the shadow of his father.

In other words relationship wise he is simp who only has eyes for piper because she felt like the missing piece in his heart.

To understand Tony Stark you need to know that he is quite lonely. It is mentioned multiple times that he has nothing. He has a quite huge ego from Iron man ! but he has lost enough to his ego already that he doesn't trust following it. His self-esteem in getting her is naturally low for all the shit he pulls and well he is desperate.  There is literally nothing else for him in his mind. His bucket lists ends with being a genius billionaire who has piper as his wife and not chasing the shadow of his father.

It ends here for Tony Stark because he is dead but he was interesting. I couldn't even If i wanted to write more about a marvel character than Tony Stark and what makes him interesting to watch isn't the genius,  relationship, his fuck-ups , change nor even his cool personality. It is his 'snark' the Stark Snark.

Back to Business. You have to remember that Iron-Man is a superhero story staring Tony Stark. In quoting someone I forgot: "Tony Stark is so bad at being a superhero that at times you forget he even is one". He is almost a super-villain and many who have mistaken him for an anti-hero. He sucks at it so much that is it entertaining to watch and watching him become one properly takes him to somewhere else. It was like he was standing on rocks before and then when he actually had to walk up the mountain he stumbled multiple times and finally drop dead on the path.

Personally I really like this character.

He is presented as a pathetic man under a fake guise of cool and power so well done, probably because of the actor that plays him. But in truth, he's quite pathetic. But a pathetic character that is a genius, poor father figure and person desperate to not lose anything before dying is interesting.

PS I Didn't edit this nor do I plan to so please ignore any or all errors. Thank you.

Also Tony Stark changes over time

Hey Orion,

You seem to be quite an expert on this character.

The original message was an analysis from a power dynamics perspective, based on a few scenes from the movie.

He provides a good role model... On what to avoid.
And since he is a superhero on the screen, some people might think that he is also a role model for high power / high-quality behavior. He's not. That was the point of that quick analysis.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...