Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Turning power tables: the asker trying to frame himself a giver

Cold reach out with interesting power moves:

1. Tries to turn the power tables, to make me go to him asking for more: Drops a (supposedly) big WIIFM but without details, so if I contact him asking what's the idea, he gains (negotiation power). It wouldn't be anymore him pitching (cold reach out, but me asking for more (warm lead for him).
    Solution: if in a parallel universe I wanted to contact him, I'd just reply "please elaborate" to re-instate the correct power dynamics
  2. (Fake) high-power self-frame: he is considering (feel free to insert LOL here) cooperating with (drops a couple of big names I couldn't give less of a F about and Beast has nothing to do with TPM)
    Solution: either ignore, or for the fun of it say "I see, and what do you need to see from these guys to start working with them". Such as, make him climb even higher on his pile of BS so that it becomes even more ridiculous
  3. Fake giver (social scalping): and now that he's assessing these supposedly big names I should want to join, he says that he also "thought about including me". I suppose that if he hasn't even started working with those deep pocket big names, what the hell do I need to do to prove myself a worthy recipient of his great value offering?
    Solution: ignore and the "please elaborate" fixes everything in one fell swoop

It's interesting he did take at least some time to check TPM, and the email now is not so easy to find, so it's probably true he dag around a bit.

Would have made for a much more effective reach out if he had taken a look inside PU, rather than the sales page though (makes me glad to know Ali's new sales page idea is a lot more straight and less "gamey" BTW).

The problem with this approach is that:

It's too fucking much.

Either the receiver is a total, complete idiot and power blind naive of Little Red Cap level, or... He'll consider you, the sender, a total idiot (and if one started a business that you heard about, guess which one is more likely?).

This is why here we generally promote more "fair value marketing" approaches.
Not because there aren't plenty of naive people in the world who would fall for the above, but because the people that you should want to associate with, usually do not fall for the above.

Ali Scarlett, John Freeman and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Ali ScarlettJohn FreemanKavalierMMCBel
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Thank you for your analysis, Lucio.

Yeah, had a similar situation recently (albeit not with as many power moves).

A stranger reached out to me a few weeks ago with that "cold reach-out to warm lead" approach too:

Drops that (supposedly) big WIIFM (generating 53% more leads) with no added details.

My thoughts were, "How do I know you're not going to ask me to make major (possibly negative) changes to my website's look and functions? And, for what? Leads? What if those changes block my ability to make an authentic impact?"

It was a bit insulting that they would imply I'd make (potentially) major changes to my website only for leads — as if money is more important to me than my mission.

Lucio Buffalmano and Kavalier have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoKavalier

Yeah, relatively stock reach out trying to guess a WIIFT (but sometimes getting it wrong).

Interesting approach to getting a reply by dangling the carrot of the "free report" (plus probably angling for the good old Cialdini reciprocation principle) , albeit still not that great as it smells of manipulative from quite far away.

Ali Scarlett and MMC have reacted to this post.
Ali ScarlettMMC

Hi Lucio if I remembered correctly there was another value-taker framed himself/herself as a giver, with similar techniques. Thanks again for your detailed analysis! This sender is indeed very creepy by providing zero value in the email.

I might reply and say something like "Elaborate", "What idea", "Interesting". All he asks is "interested or not", on surface this sentence is not too value-taking, I guess, and replying with "interesting" is perfectly respectful to him, haha.

Update:

Even though I received that email from that "cold-reach outer" weeks ago, I decided to send them that "please elaborate" yesterday to see how it'd go.

Almost right away the next day (today), they reach out (this time, a different person from a different email address):

And, when I don't respond right away, they follow up again 2 hours later:

First, they made it seem like they were a lead generation company. Now they're making mention of "improving your website presence on the internet" which makes it seem like they're actually an SEO company.

Then, he starts talking about "moving forward" before he's even gotten me on the call yet which makes it feel like he's getting ahead of himself, he should have left out the "and after that..." (albeit this outreach was already pretty doomed from the start).

And now, it feels like he's tasking me with responding unless I want to risk him spamming my email inbox with more follow-ups.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

That poked the beast awake :).

Was the report any good?

It's also possible they don't automatically generate the report, but have some sort of template they fill up only when someone bites and replies.

Ali Scarlett has reacted to this post.
Ali Scarlett
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on June 29, 2022, 3:18 am

That poked the beast awake :).

Poked the beast awake indeed :).

Not long after (the next day, actually), he followed up again:

And then again less than a week later:

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on June 29, 2022, 3:18 am

Was the report any good?

It's also possible they don't automatically generate the report, but have some sort of template they fill up only when someone bites and replies.

Actually, yeah, I liked it.

It seems like they use a variety of different software services to generate different reports across numerous different areas for improving SEO. Then, combine them to package it up for cold outreaches like this one.

Mine was 12 pages long and quite insightful, even answered some of the questions I had about the value of some of the backlinks I've gotten before too.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Processing...