Please or Register to create posts and topics.

"We're not interested in being a brand that nobody wants to copy" (mindsets & techniques around piracy)

Many years ago I was listening to an interview with the then CEO of Prada.

The interviewer asked the CEO what he thought of the countless counterfeited Prada products that flooded the market.

I thought: "damn, that's a tough question, those counterfeits must sting the company real bad and he must be fuming".
The CEO's answer shocked me, and it stayed with me until today.

He said, resolutely and a bit dismissively:

We're not interested in being a brand that nobody wants to copy.

Indirectly, he wanted to say that being copied showcased Prada's quality.
The people who invested time and money copying Prada were also admitting that Prada was superior, and that they couldn't create a product of the same quality.
And, I suspect, Prada was not being badly hurt because people who bought counterfeits weren't going to buy many original products anyway.

Today, I had to think again about what Prada's CEO said when I realized that two different places were pirating two different ThePowerMoves products:

Personally, I don't mind too much if someone with limited financial resources were to look for a shortcut.
And if that same person did give somewhat back, even if small, like for example sharing an article, or mentioning to a friend about this website, I would actually respect him: there is a guy who is working around his limitations while still trying to rebalance the relationship and give something back. Respect.

That being said, I believe that if one can, he should try to limit pirating.

It can be a major loss of revenue, and once it's out, the temptation can be too high -even for those who do have resources-. Plus, it ends up serving some of the folks that this website advises to avoid the most: the win-lose people who shortchange others as a way of life. Those with the financial means who go the pirate way and who do nothing to give even a small "like" back (freeloaders). Some of whom might even end up using this knowledge to be even bigger assholes -the worst possible combo-.

That's why, albeit it's not my top priority and I don't lose sleep over it, I also consider anti-pirating strategies.

For my ebooks, I often update them, which is one benefit that the buyers of the pirated version would lose.

But the biggest hurdle for pirates is the main course.
The Social Power course is difficult to pirate.
It's not just written text, or only videos.
It's text and embedded video.
Plus quizzes. And quizzes require a specific IT infrastructure to run.
Plus, there are many links to forum entries that only subscribers and Social Power alumni can access.

Sure, there are ways around anything. But put all of them together, and it's much more difficult for a pirate -or a freeloader- to get the full value that a legit customer would get.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?