Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Why you can't edit posts after 60 minutes

It's happened now a few times that someone said they weren't able to edit their posts.

So I thought to give a quick explanation here.

Users can edit their posts for 60 minutes, after which the posts gets "locked".

That is usually a standard option in most forums to avoid spam.

Spammers try to insert links in their messages to gain backlinks for their customers (backlinks help their customers rank higher in Google). But they know that if they insert a link right away, an administrator will likely catch it, and delete it.
So what they try to do is to leave a comment than seems genuine, but then go back sometime later, and edit the comment to insert their spamming link.

That's why a standard feature is to limit the amount of time one can edit one's own comments: to avoid that a spammer can come back to the forum a week later, and edit his old post without any administrator noticing it.

Most spammers are easy to catch from their very first message, since they are so sloppy at their job.
But limiting the edit time to 60 minutes makes it far easier, and far more likely, that even a "good" spammer would get caught (haven't seen a "good" one yet, though).

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

I think it is a sensible policy that offers other advantages besides the anti-spamm effect, also makes people think more before writing something down!

Quote from Stef on November 2, 2020, 7:46 am

I think it is a sensible policy that offers other advantages besides the anti-spamm effect, also makes people think more before writing something down!

True, a side benefit I hadn't thought of :).

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

off topic:

@lucio

I got this message on the word press profile:

"WordPress 5.5.3 is available! Please notify the site administrator."