Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Employee strategy: publicly embrace "learning from mistakes", but privately hide yours (especially from the boss)

Remember this:

The owner's interest is for you to publicly admit and share your mistakes, but your interest is to hide them and never let your boss see them.

That's why owners always break your balls with the culture of "embracing mistakes", talking about mistakes openly, and sharing lessons learned.

That way, mistakes are addressed early and everyone learns from them. It's for the company, for the owner, maaaybe for them. But is good for you?
Often not.
While everyone learns from your mistakes, you gain nothing... Except for the reputation of a guy who's doing a lot of mistakes. Make too many of them, and you're not a source of information, but someone who should be fired.

A Successful Example of Hiding Mistakes

I remember my very first job as a project manager.

I had managed to send the wrong email with all the "important" heavy-hitters in CC (in truth, just a bunch of corporate drones).

The program manager was furious. He called me up and reamed me on the phone. That was the biggest scolding of my career. scratch that, of my life, actually.
But if you had heard the conversation, you would have thought that was the weirdest conversation ever.

This is how it went:

PM: (very angry) Think before you hit "send", THINK! Are you able to THINK!
Me: (very calm) Yes, I think I am
PM: Who else was in CC, was it Andy in there too?
Me: I think he was, yes
PM: (yelling) What the fuck where you thinking, ANDY was there, you sent ANDY the wrong report on MY project! Do you know who are they going to blame?
Me: Well, I think me
PM: No, because you're a fucking junior who can't do shit and they will blame ME!
Me: Hmmmm yeah, maybe you're right
PM: THINK before sending, THINK!

You will notice there was no sorry in there from my side.

Then I took a walk, picked up my mobile, called him on his mobile, apologized profusely, asked how we could recover, promised him to make amend... And also told him I wasn't comfortable with his tone.

Why did I do that move?
Why calling him back later?

Because the first call was on the desk phone and with my boss sitting nearby.
And my boss never got to know of my blunder.
He did get to see however a lot of my (romanced) results.
A few weeks later I ended that assignment with an "exceeds" in my evaluation.

Had my boss known of all my blunders or had he gotten from me the "non-romanced results".... I don't think I would have gotten an "exceeds".
All I exceeded at, after all, was maximizing opportunities and selling. Corporate just wasn't for me.

Moral of the story: a mistake that your boss hasn't seen is a mistake that doesn't exist.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...