Please or Register to create posts and topics.

You can post now

Theme changed.

Obviously lots of work to do still -as you can see :)-.

But I wanted to move it quickly live because the longer I worked it on the background, the more fresh data that I should have overwritten with the migration to production (yes, it's possible to migrate without overwriting everything, but it gets more complex).

So I'd rather keep it "ugly" for a few days, but fully functioning and without losing any forum post.
Only two forum entries have gone lost -my previous announcement saying "don't post" and a very good video on body language by Stef. I'll try to find it again later-.

This theme has much better integration between user accounts / courses and, I think much greater potential to also look much better once everything will be finished.

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

This new theme looks powerful 🙂

BTW, not sure if you noticed, but the Resources tab is missing (it contains all of your book summaries, book reviews, best books list, etc.).

Since you said the website is fully functioning, it seems like the tab is unintentionally missing due to the theme.

Only a heads up, love the new look!

Looks professional and sharp. It really helps get the point of this site across. The bit of upheaval now is worth a better site later 🙂

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Very good catch, Ali!

Yes, I will add that back soon.

It's not going to be structured a bit differently, less fancy and more practical, with a list of categories, and then all the reviews under each category.

I loved the older real-time sorting by rating and category, but most people didn't.
So I'll simplify it now.

On the plus side, that will also simplify the website, and the ratings will still be available under the "book reviews" page.

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef

Thank you Kellvo!

If you guys got some critics or ideas, I'm also all ears.

Kellvo and Stef have reacted to this post.
KellvoStef

Here there are 2 of those, there are others in that channel, some have trouble with the audio so supposedly you can only hear the audio by using headphones,no idea why.

I dont agree 100% with his analysis, and I leave some comments in his youtube channel explaining why, but he does make, in my opinion, mostly good points.

at the end of the day body language is a very complex topic and some gestures depending on context and other stuff may by open to very different interpretations...

cool new forum look, @lucio, congratulations, hope I can display some profile picture soon!

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on November 3, 2020, 11:03 pm

If you guys got some critics or ideas, I'm also all ears.

I indeed have a few of those:

I'm on a desktop and the new bar that constantly appears if you scroll even slightly up, or simply follow a link is annoying, as it is a typical mobile feature that doesn't add much or even anything for desktop users. If you zoom in on text it gets worse because then the bar takes like 25% of the space, and you need to scroll down to get rid of it temporarily. If you follow a link, you can't immediatly scroll down because you likely want to read the post.

This could be improved through a dedicated mobile site for example. This automatically delivers the customized page to the device specified in the user-agent and wouldn't need to compromize on functionality on either device type.

And now the site isn’t accessable without javascript activated anymore (I know most wont notice or care in the slightest, but it’s not a good thing, it increases complexety, decreases anonymity and safety and is an indicator for increased load).

Further it seems like the websites now loads significantly slower than before, and the waiting animation makes it even more noticeable and is annoying - for me at least. Though it got better today, yesterday it was a lot more noticable - I looked it up thepowermoves.com in some pagespeed test-sites to see if it was only my perception, and there is quite some potential for improvement, google-pagespeed ranks (from today) are on mobile roughly around 15-25 and on desktop 67-81 (out of 100).

The background picture of the studying girls seems of place (this is likely from the theme and not intentionally put there I suppose).

Though there was a strange bug before the update in the login form that prevented autotype to work - that is now apparently fixed. Otherwise I don’t know what else got fixed through this, so my perspective is limited as I’m mostly aware of the presented downsides.

Thank you Anon!

Yeah, I'm thinking right now whether I should keep it simple and static, or whether a more beautiful interface is worth the price in complexity and load time.

One more thing: logging out now throws a 404/page-not-found-error.

Apparently this site doesn’t exist anymore:

http://thepowermoves.com/?page_id=8

Though reading my initial comment again, I should have delivered it a bit more appreciative as you are simply trying to optimize our experience after all.

Processing...