Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Changing newsletters' "from" field to "no-reply"

To further reduce income emails I decided to change the "to" field of the emails from an actual email, to "No-Reply@ThePowerMoves.com".

I would have liked instead to have an automated message, but Mailchimp does not allow to set an autoresponder -a major feature lack, in my opinion-.

The workaround is to set an automated reply from your email provider, but:

1. It doesn't seem to work. Probably because the system perceives the email as replies to your first emails,
  2. You can only have one auto-reply, and I want the automated reply to the newsletter to be different than people who are contacting me directly.

So in spite some online resource recommend never to use "no-reply" to send newsletters, I'm trying it anyway.

The reason is that I'd rather have people know they shouldn't reply to the email -or get an automated message that the email doesn't exist-, than being able to contact me and then be disappointed for not receiving a reply.

selffriend has reacted to this post.
selffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Small note here, the email address used to be "No-Reply@ThePowerMoves.com".

Today, I got an email from Lucio with his updates on some newly published content and an upcoming article.

Yet, the email address seemed to be "no-reply@thepowermoves.com" (in lower-case) this time. And, as a result, it felt like a real no-reply email address.

Lucio, some issues I've noticed with a real no-reply email address are:

• Some users cannot add no-reply addresses to their address book: this increases the chances of those emails being marked as spam by the email service provider's built-in spam filters. For those driven people who joined TPM with their work emails, they might have more sensitive spam filters to avoid spam getting mixed in with the emails that are important to them. And, TPM emails could get caught by those spam filters.
  • Might not be GDPR-compliant: GDPR (Global Data Protection Regulation) is a set of European Union laws that outlines how companies use the data they gather about customers and internet users. One of the rules states customers must be able to request information about the data collected about them. By using a no-reply address, you are preventing customers from communicating with you. And, that could impact your GDPR compliance which could result in fines (= an easy fix to this might be to include a note in your auto-responder: "If you would like to request information about the data collected from you as a customer or internet user, please refer to this forum.").

So, if you want to really reduce email communication, I'd say this is a good way to do it as long as you have a way to mitigate the downsides.

Lucio Buffalmano and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmanoselffriend

Thank you, Ali!

Great to read your thoughts and notes, and your feedback is much appreciated.

You are right indeed, those are great points.
I had considered them, and I monitored for changes.

So far I have not noticed any major impact in terms of what's referred to as "deliverability" (ie.: the emails that correctly go into the "inbox").

There is no way to measure that exactly, but "open rate", or the emails that get delivered and opened should provide an approximation.

This is the automated campaign that goes out on first sign-up:

The open rate is the orange line. April when "no-reply" debuted was a few points below average, but May is already within normal range, albeit with smaller volumes to generalize for the whole month. Hard to say if there was an impact, but if that's the case, it was not above low single digits. I'll check again at the end of the month.

And below is the open rate for the email on "Enlightened Individualism".

Largely in line with previous email communication, and in line with the industry standards:

And with a very high click-rate:

TPM subscribers tend to be very responsive. If the email says "this is good, check it out", people tend to trust it.

There are some confounding factors here, like for example, I haven't cleaned the list from unresponsive emails in a while now. That adds up as a "drag" over time, and it has a very high impact on deliverability.

But from what I've seen, I'd say that there might be an impact. We can't exactly quantify that impact without splitting the audience in half, but it's likely not very significant and it's not hurting significantly.

What matters far more are subject lines, what I write about, what I recommend to do ("do check this out" or "you can skip this"), and how recently I've cleaned up the list (something I might be doing again soon).

MAILCHIMP OFFERED NO AUTORESPONDER

One of the things I don't love about Mailchimp is that it does not allow for an autoresponder.

It can filter messages from your inbox, but it doesn't allow autoresponders, which to me seems such an important and basic feature.

Edit:
Didn't realize I had already mentioned this in the first email, but I kept it here anyway.

Otherwise, you can go without Mailchimp filtering system, but then you will receive all emails to your inbox, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

So if one used the Mailchimp filtering system that means

That means that:

1. Some repliers get frustrated: some people write to say nice things, so it felt "bad" not to reply. In a way, "no-reply" is a move to avoid frustrating both myself from feeling "bad", and some subscribers, for feeling like they're being ignored
  2. Added workload: It also happened sometimes that it was customers with legit questions who replied. So it meant that I still should check all the emails to make sure there is no important email I need to take care of

OPTION: REVERTING BACK, AND ADDING A NOTE

I'm considering though to revert back to "connect" and add a note at the end saying something like "please do not reply, we're unable to read all emails, if you want to say something, go on the forum".

Ali Scarlett, Matthew Whitewood and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Ali ScarlettMatthew Whitewoodselffriend

Thanks for sharing the statistics!

I have to agree with Lucio that GDPR can be very annoying for small businesses despite the good intentions of protecting people's privacies.
I'm not an expert at GDPR compliance but, if ThePowerMove's privacy policy states a way to contact the website, users who sign up for the newsletter have implicitly agreed to contact Lucio via that contact in the privacy policy.
Maybe it's a grey area if the users sign up via other means.

To further protect the compliance issues, maybe the email could include a footer pointing to the privacy policy of this website:

For any queries regarding your personal information, please check out how to contact us via our privacy policy.

So probably only people who are really keen on contacting this website will go through this additional step.

KLAVIYO - ANOTHER EMAIL AUTOMATION PLATFORM

I thought that I should share another email automation platform to give a possible alternative.
Klaviyo allows up to 250 email subscribers for free. Then it starts charging.
I am exploring the free tier at the moment.

One of the great features of Klaviyo is the Segment feature.
It allows you to segment subscribers who are not active in the last 30 days for example.

Though I am not an expert at Mailchimp.
As such, I am personally unable to make a detailed comparison on which is better.

I have found this guide pretty good on comparing the 2 email automation tools though:
Klaviyo Vs MailChimp: Which One Is Best For YOU In 2021?

I am quite interested in email automation.
Maybe I will go back to MailChimp if Klaviyo doesn't work out.

Lucio Buffalmano and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmanoselffriend

Thank you for sharing, Matthew!

OFF-TOPIC 

In terms of pricing they're similar.

Mailchimp also has a feature to filter audiences in terms of activity, but it's quite clunky and unintuitive.
Sometimes it even filters poorly and I need to double-check.

Overall, I don't consider Mailchimp a great provider and if I'd go back I'd choose something else.
Once you're locked in though, it's just not as bad as to warrant a(another attempt at) migration, which would be a small project on its own and take time.

But if you're choosing right now, then I'd recommend looking for something else.

OFF-TOPIC 

Matthew Whitewood and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewoodselffriend

Thanks for the advice Lucio!
I will have a think about the 2 platforms. (and others)
I wished migration could be seamless but it's probably the strategy of software companies to lock you in.

Processing...