Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Collaborative Negotiation With Freelancers That You Have Good Relationships With

I had an unexpected outcome when negotiating the hourly rate with a freelancer.
We do have a good relationship, but he went further to accommodate me.

I have taken out the other parts of the discussion for simplicity:

Freelancer: Also, one more important point to align, as I had mentioned to you some months ago, my hourly rate on the freelancing platform has been $65 for a while now. As we are going to transact directly, I won't have the intermediary fee, so it could be $60. Please, let me know if it is ok for you!

Me: We can do USD 60/hour.
Would there be any chance of doing USD 55 / hour if we work longer together?

Freelancer: We can do USD 55 / hour. It's important to be good for both of us.

I believe that he thought by catering for my financial requirements, we could potentially work together on more projects in the future.

At the same time, I am aware that he may intentionally put a higher price on his hourly rate.
So that, when he concedes, he seems magnanimous.

For his level of skill, communication and experience, I am happy to pay USD 55 / hour.
He delivers fast with quality and also keeps me updated regularly.

He does not seem to take advantage of the hourly rate to charge more hours than necessary.
For example, I was surprised that he could deliver something in 2 hours before.
He could have charged me for 3 hours for example, and I would have thought that the amount was reasonable.

I would recommend this kind of freelancers to work with as Lucio has done for another freelancer.

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Yep, sounds like a keeper 🙂

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

That's the power of honesty. Now you can both work together to enlarge the pie. Win-win. 1+1 = 3 (synergistic effect)

Lucio Buffalmano and Sam Wellington have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoSam Wellington

For his level of skill, communication and experience, I am happy to pay USD 55 / hour.
He delivers fast with quality and also keeps me updated regularly.

Ultimately, this is all that matters. If you feel like he's worth 55 and he's happy to work for it, then everyone is very happy. If he asks for more, then you'll need to revisit exactly how much he is worth to your needs overall. As long as nobody feels taken advantage of, it's a happy and fruitful relationship. I've also had freelancers work for me that have gone above and beyond in order to ensure future work, and I've always done my best to honor that by returning to them when I had other similar projects.

As an aside, there's a big benefit to working with someone you already know, even if it costs more. You know the quality of their work, of course, but they also already have a good idea of what you're looking for and how to provide that for you. This can often be worth more than double the actual cost of work because it makes communication easier and saves you a ton of time on having to send things back for revision and changes, as well as saving on frustration.

Really happy for you that you found such a great freelancer! 🙂

Matthew Whitewood and Sam Wellington have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodSam Wellington

Jack, thanks for your perspective!
I'm pretty much on the same page as you.

I do love working with someone that I know again.
It does save a ton of time as you say.

As long as nobody feels taken advantage of, it's a happy and fruitful relationship.

I love a great relationship with a freelancer.
It seems that great relationships in different contexts all boil down to this fundamental truth.
Whether dating, business, personal, friendships, etc.

Processing...