Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cover design feedback (Ultimate Power): how does it look?

Yea, if your favorite is the classic style, it looks like this new design might be moving away from that.

Here's what I'm seeing:

• The title font: looks like it's for a fiction book (e.g. of a very similar font and color style is used here)
  • The subtitle font: looks like it's for Google Docs (a variation of Arial)
  • The author name font: looks like it's for a non-fiction book (which is good)
  • The brain design style: is a little too overdone (the classic style is more simplistic which means fewer neurons firing and less eye-popping color)

So, some potential feedback for the designer might be:

• The author name font: would be a great font for the title and subtitle as well
  • The brain design style: would be able to achieve that "scientific" feel that the classic style brings if it were designed to look like a diagram

On the note of that brain design, here's a possible Google search for inspiration (if you can weed through all the poor results):

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Thank you so much, Ali!

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

In my opinion, putting the quote "the last self-development book you will ever need" comes across as a bit salesy.

Something like

What you need to know to develop mental power: growth mindset, anti-fragile ego, and more.

I think the book should steer away from the typical branding of self-development books.

Something came to mind from the above.
Maybe putting a picture of the table of contents could be a good idea.

And putting a link to the book from the growth mindset and anti-fragile ego articles could help to garner interest on the book:

Did you find the concept of growth mindset useful?
Check out our book "Ultimate Power" for more on personal power.

I'm not sure about vice versa, putting links to these articles on the store page.
May potentially lead visitors away from the purchase.

I have the same feedback on the sales pages of the courses.
There's a focus on social proof, why it works on a general level but not enough glimpse into how the actual content will help the audience.
My quiz suggestion on the home page was one suggestion to enable a glimpse.

But all this is only my perspective.
Maybe others have a different view on how the various things come across.

Lucio Buffalmano

Thank you, Matthew!

I just realised that clicking on Ultimate Power brings you to the sales page.
So maybe some of my feedback was a bit off.
There's already a table of contents page there.

Congrats on the new book cover, Lucio!

I just noticed it in the Store and it looks very professionally-made.

I'm going to have to update my book's "Read More" plug now :D.

Quote from Ali Scarlett on July 16, 2021, 3:48 am

Congrats on the new book cover, Lucio!

I just noticed it in the Store and it looks very professionally-made.

I'm going to have to update my book's "Read More" plug now :D.

Hi Ali, I've been meaning to update this thread with the latest cover eventually, and you beat me to it.

What I wanted to say actually was "thank you, Ali".

That's 95% based on your awesome concept.

Edit:
Actually, it's 100% your design.
You were far better than the designer. No digs to him, he was an OK guy. But every time he made some changes, he made it worse.
Which has happened several times now already: you were (far) better than the people who were supposedly professionals.
I think we said this already, but this skill/innate ability of yours is something you might want to keep in mind for work / passion / entrepreneurial endevour.

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on July 16, 2021, 6:21 am

I think we said this already, but this skill/innate ability of yours is something you might want to keep in mind for work / passion / entrepreneurial endeavor.

Or, for adding more free value to TPM :).

Thank you for saying that, Lucio, and same to Matthew. I saw both your notes on this and it means a lot to read.

That said, when it comes to most of these graphic designs I've done, a solid 90-95% of the work is already done for me by Canva's features and templates.

So, it would be the creative genius of Canva that gets most of the credit, I only do my best to adapt their material to TPM. And, if it turns out that you happen to like what I made, that would be more luck than anything else.

P.S.:

Hope you have better experiences with designers in the future, Lucio. It'll be a great day for TPM when you find a reliable professional who's more than a mere "monkey on a typewriter" as you put it.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood

Recently, I met a bestselling author who's sold tons of copies of his autobiography. And, unless you're famous or have a pre-established following, that can be very hard to do.

His name is Cameron Powell, and he pulled out his book Ordinary Magic during our meeting. And, I couldn't help but notice how beautifully detailed his book cover was.

So, I complimented it and he mentioned that if there's one rule he does his best to follow, it's to make sure that his book covers don't make his book look self-published. (There's more authority in a book that looks published by a big publishing house. And, there's a negative stigma around authors who publish their own books.)

My mind's been drifting back to this design ever since he said that because classic designs aren't typically the kinds of book covers one would find on Amazon. At least, not on the books that perform well.

So, I found myself crafting another design that I think looks good as well:

And, if you guys don't like it, no worries, I simply didn't think it was fair to leave out my thoughts if there's a chance it could make the design (and the book's performance) better.

If you have any thoughts, please feel free to share.

Lucio Buffalmano

Wow, thank you Ali, this one looks incredible.

There is something about the current black cover though that fits with the website's color.

Ali Scarlett has reacted to this post.
Ali Scarlett
Processing...