Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Machiavellians enforce cooperations - when cooperation is good

I'm reviewing "Studies in Machiavellianism".

A couple things that caught my eye:

Highs (high Machiavellians) tended to make more of the better offers (...) might have suggested that highs were giving points in return for partnerships.

Study: Geis, The Con Game, 1966

Little later:

We have argued that, given the particular circumstances, they have adopted a rational strategy, even though it was cooperative rather than exploitive.

This shows that some of the popular literature on cynicism misses the boat on cooperation by focusing only -or overly- on the cheating and manipulative side.

People naturally high in Machiavellianism instead well "exploit" cooperation, a point that this website stressed since the beginning.

Of course, there is then the other side of the coin, protecting against the downsides and risks of cheating.
And that's also part of good strategizing and general power awareness.

selffriend has reacted to this post.
selffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

And from the study " "THE PENNY-DOLLAR CAPER":

The results certainly do not lend credence to the notion that high Machs are more exploitive, whatever the objective situation. They tend to support the second of the two alternatives suggested, i.e., high Machs are more rational game players.

Of course, high Machs can be more exploitative when being more exploitative is more rational and they tend to be more manipulative and better at manipulation.
But even there, they only manipulate when it makes sense, and the good Machs rarely overdo it, because overdoing it comes at a cost.

selffriend has reacted to this post.
selffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...