Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Physical power and social power are one and the same (one study shows)

I was reviewing "The Women's Guide to How Men Think" by Shawn Smith (post to come out soon), and there was an interesting study.

The study shows that men primed for losing a physical fight and argument fight against other men rated those other men to be more dominant by pretty much the same standards.
I quote:

Importantly, the effect of imagining losing versus winning confrontations on men’s subsequent dominance sensitivity did not interact with the type of confrontation that participants were instructed to imagine in the priming phase of the experiment (a physical fight vs. a verbal argument). That the effect of the ‘‘outcome’’ of the confrontation was not qualified by the ‘‘type’’ of confrontation suggests that facultative changes in men’s sensitivity to dominance cues in potential rivals are shaped by experiences of both physical and social confrontations

In brief: losing an argument or a physical confrontation have pretty much the same effects on social status.

This why in the first lesson of Power University I say that it makes little sense to separate between the different types of power, since they all overlap and intersect with each other.

Focus on the type of power that you personally enjoy the most and/or where you got the most natural talent, and you will be uplifted in all other areas anyway.

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

"losing an argument of a physical confrontation" small typo there, probably you mean: "or" (I don't want to sound or try to be a dick nitpicking on small stuff, it is just  I feel your work is so good it deserves perfection) 

Thank you so much, Stef!

Not only I don't consider people fixing my typos and mistakes like they are nitpicking, but the total opposite: I feel like they are giving me gold, and feel indebted towards them.

And you've given me a lot of gold so far.
So thank you so much!

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?