Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Shedding average books from main blog - moving some of them in the forum

To make the website slimmer, and increase the general quality, I am pruning some book summaries.

I am removing the ones that I consider as being "poor", "just OK" or "not in line with the website" (law of attraction et similar).

Some of those articles, I am removing them from the main blog, but copy-pasting them on this forum.

That being said, I believe that keeping an entry for the book, even poor, does add value. So that readers here know what to avoid. So those books will stay in the "book reviews" page, where users can quickly scan for rating and a quick description.

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

The links to the following books in the Healthy Habits ebook for subscribers seem to be broken or removed:

1. How Not To Die - Page 12
  2. Becoming a Supple Leopard - Page 21
  3. Fast Food Nation - Page 24
  4. The Omnivores Dilemma - Page 25
  5. Whole Rethinking Nutrition - Page 28
  6. The Whole 30 - Page 30

Are these books considered mediocre?

The link to Kellogs on page 31 is also broken
https://www.kelloggs.de/de_DE/products/wkk-organic-wheats-original.html

Yeah, those were part of a list of books/audioboks I was listening to improve my own nutrition.

However, I realized that nutrition as a science is too much "in transition" and that many nutritionists positions are extremes, and opposite to each other.
If there is no clarity, I feel that one book can as easily sway someone in the wrong direction, rather than help.

Some books, the ones closer to the top, felt like they were the most "sensible", and they truly revolutionized my diet.
What makes them superfluous though is that the content is just a Google search away.

And the most sensible ones can be summarized in:

• Avoid prepackaged / processed food
  • Avoid fast food
  • Avoid sugar
  • Eat more "real food" (= non prepackaged, non processed)
Matthew Whitewood and Stef have reacted to this post.
Matthew WhitewoodStef

Thank you for the clarification.
Nutrition is a confusing field as you mentioned.
I wasted quite a bit of time stumbling around in search of a cohesive answer.

Some books, the ones closer to the top, felt like they were the most "sensible", and they truly revolutionized my diet.
What makes them superfluous though is that the content is just a Google search away.

I will check out the books at the top.

And the most sensible ones can be summarized in:

• Avoid prepackaged / processed food
  • Avoid fast food
  • Avoid sugar
  • Eat more "real food" (= non prepackaged, non processed)

This is simple but solid to keep in mind when shopping.

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef

However, I realized that nutrition as a science is too much "in transition" and that many nutritionists positions are extremes, and opposite to each other.
If there is no clarity, I feel that one book can as easily sway someone in the wrong direction, rather than help.

@lucio just eat like a wild tiger, the diet of an apex predator, like the eagle from the power moves logo, like the lion, the king of the jungle, yes humans are omnivores yet that does not mean we need to eat plants (and for sure not in the same meal, as plant digestion is opposite to animal-tissue digestion), it only means we can derive some nutrients and energy from plants to avoid starvation or to feed slaves, or for fun, or medicinal purposes.

All the animal nutrients are in animals (very simple logic), even bones are edible and a great source of minerals, all the plant toxins are in plants, and most junk food is 80% plant based (with fake meat it will be 100% vegan). No fat lion or type 2 diabetic tiger in the wild.

Sorry for preaching and pestering, hope never comes a day when I discovered I was wrong and we were supposed to eat grass...

Quote from Stef on December 19, 2020, 10:26 pm

Sorry for preaching and pestering, hope never comes a day when I discovered I was wrong and we were supposed to eat grass...

LOL, yeah, hopefully not.
To hedge your bets, you could do a 80/20 maybe :).

But yeah, must mention again that you Stef revolutionized my nutrition with that 1 meal a day I'm still sticking to, so thank you again for that.

Hey Lucio,

Maybe you could include some of Stef's knowledge of health and nutrition in your Healthy Habits eBook if you haven't already. Might be valuable to your readers that way as well.

Quote from Ali Scarlett on December 20, 2020, 12:25 am

Hey Lucio,

Maybe you could include some of Stef's knowledge of health and nutrition in your Healthy Habits eBook if you haven't already. Might be valuable to your readers that way as well.

Hey Ali,

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Not sure how popular that ebook is though as there is no usage tracking and only subscribers have access to it, so it's probably a smaller percentage of users, and that takes it off from top priority.
But it's still a great point, I took note of it, thanks Ali. At least the 4h or 1 meal a day option should be there.

To make the website slimmer, and increase the general quality, I am pruning some book summaries.

I am removing the ones that I consider as being "poor", "just OK" or "not in line with the website" (law of attraction et similar).

Some of those articles, I am removing them from the main blog, but copy-pasting them on this forum.

That being said, I believe that keeping an entry for the book, even poor, does add value. So that readers here know what to avoid. So those books will stay in the "book reviews" page, where users can quickly scan for rating and a quick description.

Great idea. Maybe you could make a "Books you can skip" (average) and "Books to avoid" (poor) page as you did with your list of overrated books. In that way, people like me can check out your list before buying a book. Thanks to you I removed the 7 spiritual laws (yes) and others from my list. So I agree it does add value.

I agree, "books not to read" is an equally helpful list.

They're still all in the "reviews list" bigger page.
So once on that page, contro+f to search on the page, and if I've read it, I've also most likely rated it there (below I judge a book not worth bothering).

John Freeman has reacted to this post.
John Freeman
Processing...