Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Style: How to find a good tailor?

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on February 7, 2021, 2:46 am

P.S.: just realized it was your first post, so welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, Lucio! Your website was a great find, and I see nothing but great advice from you and everyone around here. Glad to join the crowd and learn with you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on February 7, 2021, 2:43 am

Hey Kavalier,

I don't see any issue in dressing monochromatically for making one look taller. I doubt anyone would ever think "he dressed monochromatically to look taller"

I guess you are right about that one and totally agree on that "edginess" in small doses. Thank you for the advice ๐Ÿ™‚

But do you see any drawbacks in breaking these "how to dress for short guys" rulebooks? I mean inserting some bolder/contrasting colours and patterns in pants/shoes, or would I be better served staying away from these? I ask because I do enjoy outfits like this one (white shirt and jacket, blue jeans, white shoes): https://br.pinterest.com/pin/289637819768351360/?d=t&mt=signupOrPersonalizedLogin. Still, it's the kind of thing that is not advised for shorter gents in most fashion sources. But the basic (untold) premise there seems to be that looking better = looking taller, and therefore the first and foremost priority (again untold) when dressing should be not losing perceived height, even if it somehow limits the playground in terms of creativity and interchangeability of the pieces (I have in mind the "Capsule Wardrobe" that our friend Matthew brought to our attention). From a power perspective, how important is it to not losing ground in terms of perceived height? Does it make sense to sacrifice a little bit of it for the sake of style?

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood

Kavalier,

I'm not an authority on the topic, but I don't see any mortal sin in contrast.

What I like doing though is to "call back" the color with the accessories.

So for example, if white shirt and beige pants, then I either add a beige jacket, or accessories like bracelet / glasses more on the beige end of the spectrum.

Kavalier has reacted to this post.
Kavalier
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

Great! Thank you

I'm also not an expert on this topic.
I consider myself to be on the shorter end of the spectrum.
From personal experience, it is an important consideration in selecting clothes but not something to be too concerned about.

Lucio has advised the fundamentals, which I find to be true:

• Focus on fit - a lot of people think about style, colours, etc.
    If your shirt is fancy but does not fit, it would not look very good.
    That being said, if it's not too far off, you can alter it at a good tailor.
  • Go for easy colours to pair with when starting out
    Black, dark blue, grey, brown, beige
    You can look good in these colours.
    The French recommend keeping colours simple and easy to style with.
  • Classy is more universal as Lucio advises
    Get good shoes, dress trousers, shirts and suits

Then, posture becomes equally if not more important in looking good in your clothes.
Basics of Posture

From Lucio's thread, which person looks better in a suit?

Lucio Buffalmano and Kavalier have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoKavalier

Thank you, Matthew! Looks like I was overthinking a few things. You guys convinced me. Opting for a more socially approved style, keeping it simple, focusing on fit and posture, spicing it up with cool accessories in moderation is the way to go